Line of Fire (Cont.)

The morning after their fight is a rough one for Taehyung.

It doesn't matter how worn out he feels after having sex with Jeongguk, he just can't sleep because he keeps replaying Jeongguk's words in his head.

Jeongguk says he needs space.

Space of all things.

As if Taehyung is too clingy and smothering. As if he's always running after him, always seeking him out, so much so that he feels like he needs a breather. It just isn't true. They equally seek each other out, Jeongguk gets needy too and he gets jealous, although he'll never admit it.

Taehyung knows that what they have is temporary but Jeongguk asking for his own space sounds a lot like he's saying he's done with Taehyung. It's not like Taehyung never expected it to happen but it took him by surprise. One second they're okay and the next he can't think about Jeongguk without his chest hurting.

Last night was a reality check. Jeongguk and him are just fuck buddies and Jeongguk doesn't seem to want Taehyung for anything more. He doesn't even want him to be his roommate anymore.

Jeongguk's words are paradoxical to the way he fucked Taehyung, which is why this whole thing is a headfuck for Taehyung. Jeongguk always makes him feel like he's the most desirable person on earth when they have sex but once it's over Taehyung's back to being just a friend. Just the guy Jeongguk lives with.

It's not the first time they have a fight but it always feels worse when they fight after sex because Taehyung goes from feeling like he's on top of the world to feeling like dirt under Jeongguk's shoes. Taehyung isn't sure Jeongguk realizes how hurtful he can be sometimes. Why would he, when he thinks that he and Taehyung are on the same page? Friends who have sex together aren't supposed to get their feelings hurt because feelings aren't supposed to be involved in the first place.

Still, this hot and cold between them gives Taehyung whiplash and there's only so much he can take.

Turns out he's the one who needs his space after all.

That's why he doesn't acknowledge Jeongguk's presence when he joins him in the kitchen. Taehyung pours himself a cup of coffee, mind still foggy from lack of sleep. He sighs when he realizes he's wearing one of Jeongguk's hoodies. He put it on out of habit when he woke up.

"Morning," Jeongguk says before clearing his throat. He takes a bottle of orange juice out of the fridge and steps next to Taehyung to take a glass in the cupboard above his head.

Taehyung doesn't answer. He doesn't even flinch when Jeongguk's body presses against his side. Instead, he blows on his coffee and walks to the living room couch. He folds his legs underneath himself and absentmindedly looks at the black screen of their TV. He hears Jeongguk's frustrated sigh and his blood immediately starts to boil.

Jeongguk doesn't get to be annoyed, not after how much he hurt Taehyung. Taehyung doesn't want to pretend like everything is okay.

"You're still mad at me?" Jeongguk asks, his voice a lot closer now. He leans against the back of the couch and looks down at Taehyung. "Hyung?" he says when Taehyung still doesn't answer.

Giving him the silent treatment may seem childish but Taehyung doesn't have the energy to argue this early in the morning. So he'd rather keep his mouth shut than say things he doesn't mean. He wishes Jeongguk could do the same sometimes, but his short temper always gets the best of him and Taehyung is always the victim of it.

"Hyung, talk to me," Jeongguk's voice wavers and it's almost enough to make Taehyung cave. Instead, he takes a sip of his coffee and he doesn't care that it's burning his tongue. "Taehyungie hyung," Jeongguk whines and Taehyung's whole body freezes when he feels his lips on his neck. Jeongguk buries his face there and wraps his arms around his shoulders.