The perfect enemies to lover fic you didn't know you needed

(@rapmoney on ao3)

Kim Taehyung isn't a charismatic star striker like Seokjin nor is he an aggressive forward like Yoongi, but he likes to think he could pride himself on being a decent captain for their football team. He's smart — if grades proved anything, and rational and strategic, methodical even. He's analytical, assertive when he needs to be, quiet when he wants to be, and most importantly — levelheaded, which is not something he could always say about the other members of his team.

So it's rare to see Kim Taehyung worked up. For someone so even, it took a lot to make him angry. But lately, a certain someone has been drawing this emotion out of him more than anyone else in the world combined. So when Taehyung stalks out of the team's changing room and crosses over to their rival team's changing room after a particularly heated game, Seokjin and Yoongi keep quiet. They exchange a pointed look but continue changing along with the rest of the team.

With beads of sweat still lingering on his neck, and shirt almost entirely soaked through with sweat, Taehyung stalks over to the rival team's changing room, setting a direct course for one Jeon Jeongguk. The kid was in the middle of congratulating his teammates after winning another game. Taehyung has played them enough times to recognize some of the other teammates. Kim Namjoon was the skilled defensive midfielder, Park Jimin was the crafty sweeper, and Jung Hoseok was the tireless goalkeeper. The four of them were laughing at something Jeongguk had said when Taehyung interrupts.

"What kind of game was that?" Taehyung demands as soon as he catches the attention of Jeongguk. The other three not in question raise their eyebrows but say nothing. They pretend to ignore the upcoming argument and quickly move away to finish changing in silence. They had seen this enough times to know how it would end. Everyone moves twice as fast, eager to get out of the changing room as soon as possible to avoid the showdown.

Jeongguk's eyes narrow and his expression almost immediately sours when he lays eyes on Taehyung. Taehyung presses on, "Cause if you asked me, that should have been a goddamn foul, Jeon, and you know it."

Jeongguk's expression morphs into a sneer as he crosses his lean yet muscular arms over his chest. He's somehow managing to look down at Taehyung despite the fact that Taehyung was at least 3 centimeters taller. "Thankfully no one's asking you then, Kim. So you better shut your mouth."

Taehyung narrows his eyes at his words, jaw tight. He already had enough reasons to hate Jeongguk, but this was the icing on the cake. This kid, who was nearly two whole years younger than him, was the Captain of the football team at their rival university. As a sophomore, Jeongguk was the youngest captain of the football team in the history of his school. Despite his age, he spoke like he was on equal footing with Taehyung, who was a senior. It pissed him off.

There was no one else in the changing room now, which is why Taehyung figured Jeongguk had suddenly gotten so bold. Even if Taehyung was from a rival team, Jeongguk's hyungs would surely have yelled at him for his insolence.

"That referee was obviously playing favorites. You practically knee-capped Yoongi when you tackled him during the first half!"

Jeongguk whirls his head around to face Taehyung, "Well, where the fuck is Yoongi then? Is he that injured that he has to send the pathetic, pet leader in his place? If he has a problem with me then he can come over and talk to me himself."

Taehyung is pretty sure he's clenching his fist, "I can represent my team."

Jeongguk lets out a scoff as he moves backward, peeling off his sweat-soaked jersey to reveal six pack abs glistening with sweat. Taehyung feels his mouth go dry as he stares at the lithe but strong muscles ripple as Jeongguk tugs off the shirt and tosses it in his gym bag. Jeongguk catches him staring and smirks, before turning away to tug on a clean white shirt.