My Ride Or Die pt 1

DOM-JUNGKOOK

Taehyung's eyes wander as he sits on a stool on the stage.

His bracelets weigh heavy on his wrists, his pendant burns under the bright lights. His jacket embellished with rhinestones that glimmer on stage is just weighing down his shoulders.

It's normal to get nervous on stage. He's only human after all. Even after years and years of singing, he still gets nervous and it's normal, he keeps telling himself.

He sees the usual faces, under the colored lights-red, blue-the regular customers of such expensive bar he sings for every few nights. He sees the bartender Hoseok, who nods at him.

And he also sees a familiar face in the back, staring at him from the darkness and it's fine. He comes every time Tae performs. An old face, an old flame. Just another one of the spectators now. It's no trouble if nothing happens, men in badges and hats have told him, obviously threatened with something Tae thinks he is familiar with too. Hoseok told him if he ever even crosses the bar he'd have him to deal with. That was at least, a comfort for Tae.

Tae fidgets with his fingers as the piano sounds throughout the now quiet bar.

And he sings.

Tries not to look into the darkness, ignoring the pair of eyes that are staring hard at him. Moves his gaze to the counter instead, where Hoseok serves a customer a glass of scotch.

Leather gloved hand reaches for the glass and Tae catches the person's eyes.

Round in the dimness of the place, soft under dark bangs, unquestioning even with how Tae is visibly fretting on stage, belting out the usual notes with a slight shake.

A new, curious face.

The person drinks, eyes never leaving him, that Tae has to look away.

He doesn't look at the same direction ever again, even after he finishes his performance, quickly walking off the stage just so he wouldn't be in the light. Where he can be seen clearly. He hides in the back, away from any customers and Hoseok finds him, a towel draped over his shoulder.

"Hey," he calls, smiling at the singer. "That was a great performance."

Tae sees the glass in Hoseok's hand, accepts it into his own and nods appreciatively. "Thank you."

"Remember, it's normal to be nervous," Hoseok offers him, probably noticing how Tae is still a little stiff, a little out of it. "You're getting better every time."

Tae sighs, drinks. "The manager's going to stop calling me if I can't get back on my feet-"

"You will," Hoseok cuts him off, standing in front of him. His stare is hard, believing and Tae feels like saying no, it's impossible but Hoseok makes it really hard to say so. He's incapable of counting how many times Hoseok has helped him up to his feet. "If it makes things better, Yoongi said he'll come perform with you tomorrow night."

Slowly, Hoseok reaches to squeeze his shoulder, and Tae tenses, seeing the gesture coming from someone as strong looking as Hoseok. Immediately the bartender seems apologetic as he pulls his hand back to himself. And Tae relaxes, smiles a thank you at him. He would greatly appreciate Yoongi, the other singer to come and perform with him. It's less nerve wracking when he has a friend on the stage with him.

"I gotta get back to the bar," Hoseok murmurs at him, smiling reassuringly at the singer.

Tae nods and watches his retreating back, his big arm pushing the heavy curtain separating the staff area and the actual bar aside. When Hoseok gets to the bar, already taking orders, he sees the gloved hand around the glass again.