TRY HARD

Setting scene: university, campus grounds. Cliché, of course, a typical beginning for any type of love-sick story where the two protagonists dance around each other on eggshells because they're too afraid to confess. It includes shared lunches, accidental meetings over mutual friends, passing notes in class and stargazing on the hood of a car before that long-awaited kiss.

It's sweet, pure and wholesome – the exact opposites of this particular duo, who more or less so wish to rip each other's throats out.

So yes, the scene is campus grounds. Lots of students heading to class, definitely eager for the beginning of the new semester, chatting and catching up after that marvelous break they just came back from. Giggles, laughter, boring pop soundtracks in the background – you get the idea.

Here's the thing about private school systems – despite people imagining students that attend private universities as some buttoned up, uniformed prodigies that are well-mannered, they're really no different from regular students. There are nerds, there are jocks, there are some of the best and some of the worst people you'll ever meet – basically, the whole Mean Girls package.

They got the uniforms thing right, though. Dress shirts and slacks, vests or jackets, ties, the most typical navy-white combo you could see. And as of this morning, it appears that Kim Taehyung – like the airhead he can be – forgot to bring his tie at all.

Park Jimin is counting down the time to when does this day take a turn for hellish. The Interaction of the Day is yet to happen, especially after that long-awaited break, and he can't even hear the buzz in his ears over the anxiety. Well, actually, less anxiety and more pure exasperation for the mess he's dreading to deal with.

That mess usually includes two things–uh, two people actually.

"Taehyung, where is your tie?" Jimin says, even if there was no point in asking. He reaches out to run fingers through his best friend's hair, a frown on his plump lips. "And do you even have a comb? Your hair is a mess. For god's sake, the council will give you a strike again."

"Oh, try me, Jimin," Taehyung rolls his eyes, adjusting at the collar of his white shirt by opening another button. "You're a member of the council, so you can mark my detention if I get caught."

"Ugh, I really need to stop doing that."

The first person of this mess is Kim Taehyung – your residual, unremarkable artisan prodigy that double majors in music and performance arts, alongside to having a minor in the fine arts. Call him an overachiever, if you will–which is exactly what he is, as the university commonly likes to refer to him as–though Taehyung likes to go by one simple, cliché, self-proclaimed decree – rules are meant to be broken.

Whether that includes missing parts of your uniform (or modifying it by tailoring your pants to fit your rather marvelous buttocks, which the council deemed as inappropriate and distracting), or getting fucked in the school library until the janitor catches you, Taehyung had his fair share of misfit acts.

And he always–let me repeat, always–gets away with it. His unmistakable skill with piano and ability to recite Shakespeare seem to make him immune to being expelled by the school, as his talents are one of a kind. And even if the student body likes to make it seem like they're troubled by him, they're more so jealous.

"You're basically my partner in crime, Chim," Taehyung grins, all pretty teeth and pink lips and Jimin low-key wants to punch him in the face and also kiss him (because fuck, he's so pretty – but no homo, though, since they're besties and all). "Ah, what'd I do without you?"