Line of Fire (Taekook)

THIS BELONGS TO @yoonminology and @kinkmins ON AO3

Taehyung mutters a curse under his breath as a drop of dishwater hits him right in the eye, ignoring the way Jeongguk chuckles from the couch in the living room. He glares at him, sighing exasperatedly as he continues rinsing the plates, trying not to pay much attention to him.

He hears the muffled sound of Jeongguk mumbling even through the running water as the younger jots down and calculates an estimate of how much their bills are going to be this month. Taehyung is pretty sure the electric bill might be a little up this month, especially since they've used the heater more than usual, with the weather being quite terrible for the past few weeks even though spring was already here. But that doesn't worry him much; with the new act he's been assigned to manage a few weeks ago, the raise he'd gotten has been so high Taehyung could probably cover all of their bills on his own and have enough left to survive the rest of the month.

"Shit," Jeongguk mutters and Taehyung looks up in his direction, brows pinching together as he watches Jeongguk's eyes widen. "Oh, shit."

"What is it?" Taehyung asks, closing the faucet and taking his rubber gloves off. He wipes the sweat off his forehead and then runs a hand through his hair, walking over and slumping down into an armchair next to the couch, kicking his feet up on the table.

Instinctively, Taehyung's heart nervously flutters inside of his chest, and he consciously has to remind himself that he's a full-blown, working adult with a good paycheck – whatever it is, it doesn't matter. He's not a struggling student anymore, even though it sometimes feels like it, considering he and Jeongguk are still living together, despite the fact that both of them have long graduated college.

"Is it the electric bill?" He quirks an eyebrow, gaze dropping to the paper in Jeongguk's hands. "Is it astronomical? Jeongguk-ah?"

"No," Jeongguk finally says, rubbing the back of his neck. "It's our... notice."

Taehyung pauses. "Notice? For what?"

"Our lease ends next month," Jeongguk replies, flipping the paper to the other side, putting it down once he realizes there's nothing written on the back of it. "We're going to have to renew it or move out. Either way, we only have a few weeks to let our landlord know, she needs to know whether or not she has to list the apartment for rent again."

With his brows pinched together, Taehyung reaches to take the paper from where it lays in front of Jeongguk. It's true; their lease ends at the end of next month, and Taehyung had completely forgotten about it.

"Damn," Taehyung hums, licking his lips before he shrugs and tosses the paper back onto the table. "Well. Whatever. We'll give her a call after the weekend's over."

His gaze slides to Jeongguk who's biting on the inside of his cheek, watching him tentatively. "What?"

"So, uh, guess I should start apartment hunting soon. We only have thirty days to leave after the lease is up. And I don't wanna end up living on Jimin's couch before I can find something decent."

Taehyung cocks his head to the side, feeling as if someone had just slapped him in the face. In all the years he and Jeongguk had lived together, Jeongguk's never really implied actually wanting to move out. At least, not in a situation that's as real as this one, where a notice is hanging above their heads as they speak.

"What do you mean?" Taehyung snorts, trying to play it off as a joke, despite Jeongguk's serious tone.

Jeongguk shrugs, gesturing vaguely as he looks for the right words. His long hair falls into his eyes and he clicks his tongue as he pushes it back with one hand, quickly tying it into a bun on top of his head with the other. He's gotten even more attractive ever since he'd let his hair get long, and Taehyung was genuinely curious if it was the universe's way of messing with him.