Comeback Kids

THIS BELONGS TO @rix ON AO3

note: really mild brospeak including some derogatory shit so if that makes you uncomfortable

"Point to the Kodiaks!"

"Bullshit! Foul! Foul!"

"You call that a foul? Pussies!"

A cloud of ice shreds up from where Jungkook's skates dig in and halt on the rink.

"Yeah, I call that fucking cheating!"

"Cheating? Bitch, that's called playing the game"

"Are you stupid? That was a cross-check!"

"That was clearly a normal check, and that guy's just too weak to fucking handle—"

The whistle blows, a cheap, plastic shrill that rattles in the cold air. The boys stop arguing.

"Shut up," Namjoon calls, then gestures with his stick toward the north side of the rink. "Point to the Kodiaks."

That makes it Metros: 1, Kodiaks: 3.

Jungkook clicks his tongue in disdain and makes sure to glare at the other team's goalie before skating back to his side.

"Fuck 'em," Yoongi mutters to him when he gets there, voice raspy from having yelled across the wide rink moments ago. It's always Yoongi, it seems, getting involved in those aggression matches on the ice. That whole fiasco of who can yell louder than who, regardless of who's correct or not. In most cases both side are equally in the wrong, but Jungkook doesn't tell him that.

Instead he roughly pats Yoongi on the shoulder with a gloved hand and says, "Cool it, dude. We've got this."

He knows better than to put himself up against the brunt of Yoongi's in-game rage. It might be fun to goad the guy from time to time, but it's best to save that for when they're off the rink, maybe during post-game night-outs or casual get-togethers.

Yoongi skates away to take his spot as left wing, and Jungkook steels his stance in centre position.

"You got this, Kook," Namjoon says, standing atop the red centre line, puck held above the face-off dot. From beneath his helmet, hair sweaty, coarse strap digging in beneath his jaw, Jungkook gives him a cocky smile and nods.

"Don't gotta tell me."

Then the Kodiaks' centre skates up to position, and Jungkook's jaw locks.

"This feels like cheating," the guy says casually to Jungkook and Namjoon. "With the ref being on the same team as you guys and all."

"It's not cheating," Jungkook spits. "It's fair. We all decided we needed a ref."

With a shrug and a laugh huffed through his nose he says, "Whatever. It's not like you guys could ever beat us, anyway."

That familiar anger flares up in Jungkook. Again.

When considering the most frontally aggressive player of the Metros, Yoongi might come to mind. Often penalized for boarding, easily surpassing most players in the frequency of checks, constantly contending what counts as a foul and what doesn't. Yet aside from that, he's the most relaxed person Jungkook knows. There's just something about the competition that gets to him.

And it's no mystery that Jungkook feeds off the dynamism the match grants him, just the same as everyone else does. The power, punch, and passion, the poison for their addicted minds that can never get enough.