Ripped Jeans and Velvet Skin

BELONGS TO @strangedesires ON AO3

DOM- TAEHYUNG

He's five and Taehyung's seven, and Taehyung's being as bratty as ever when he knocks down the castle that Jeongguk built out of toy blocks.

Tears threaten to fall from his eyes, but Jeongguk's been told that boys don't cry, so he forces his emotions down and scowls at Taehyung. "That's not nice, Tae," he pouts, and Taehyung laughs as he goes to pick up the blocks. He starts re-making Jeongguk's fallen castle, because he can tell that Jeongguk is on the verge of an emotional tantrum, and he sighs as he apologizes and ruffles Jeongguk's hair.

When Jeongguk's eight and is struggling with bullies in school, it's Taehyung who comes to his rescue.

One day after school, ten-year old Taehyung shoves the bullies' leader, and he ends up falling in a muddy puddle. Jeongguk's scared, and shouts at Taehyung, "Run, Tae!" when he sees the anger on the bullies' faces.

But Taehyung, being the heroic idiot he is, stands tall and pushes his chest out. His attempt to look threatening sort of works, because one of the four bullies is tugging on the sleeves of the leader and telling him that Taehyung isn't worth his time. The impact of the leader's fist on Taehyung's face is unlike any other pain Taehyung has ever experienced in his life, and he can feel his brain shake when an undercut to the jaw knocks him to ground.

Jeongguk is by his side immediately, with wild, scared eyes as he stares at the bullies.

When one of them goes to land a kick on Taehyung's side, Jeongguk shouts, "Leave him alone!"

They're too late in their arrival, but Jeongguk's teacher scoops Taehyung up off of the ground and tuts at the bullies who have scattered.

The nurse tends to Taehyung's wounds, and is in disbelief over how badly they messed up his face. "They're just cowards," she says, and Jeongguk disagrees, because if anyone's a coward, it's him for not fighting back. The next day, Taehyung's face is black and blue, and he winces in pain when Jeongguk makes him laugh, "I can't laugh, it hurts my ribs too much," he says to Jeongguk, and Jeongguk feels guilt wash over him.

"It's my fault. I'm sorry for getting you in a fight," he says, with his gaze fixed on the ground.

But Taehyung's quick to dismiss him, "Shut up, Jeongguk, it's not your fault." He could've consoled Jeongguk a bit more affectionately, but Jeongguk's smiling nevertheless and when Taehyung insists that he won the fight, Jeongguk has to lie and agree with him, when in reality, none of the four bullies had left with a single scrape.

Taehyung's fourteen when he gets a Valentine's Day card from a secret crush, and Jeongguk is twelve and green with jealousy.

"Who do you think sent it?" he's giddy, and Jeongguk's face is deadpan as he sits on Taehyung's bed and feigns interest in the identity of Taehyung's Valentine. He shrugs, and says dryly, "I don't know, Tae, It's difficult to know when you have so many girls running after you."

Taehyung senses his sarcasm, and glowers at him before he turns his attention back to the card that's written in pretty pink, cursive handwriting. Someone comes to Taehyung's mind, and Jeongguk watches as his eyes sparkle with hope, "Do you think it was Soojin?" he asks, and Jeongguk rolls his eyes, because he doesn't care about Valentine's Day and he doesn't care about Soojin.

When Jeongguk is fourteen, he sends Taehyung a Valentine's Day card. And as it turns out, he's not Taehyung's only secret Valentine.

Staring at the cards in Taehyung's hand, Jeongguk can't help but feel insignificant as Taehyung opens them one by one and sets them up nicely along his windowsill.