55 | MERCY

CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE
'mercy'

A lab — pure white, bleached and spotless walls was a cage for someone, you.

Knelt onto the floor with an enhancing drug coursing through your veins, you choked and stopped the flow of oxygen and blood of a man you didn't know in front of you.

Looking to your right, through the bulletproof glass, were the scientists and researchers. They— from where you were stood— seemed to be people that you've seen, but are unfamiliar with their names.

It was painful. Not physically, but mentally.

The stranger was struggling for his breath— dying because of you. His pale face first turned red, then to blue, then purple. He grew weak and helpless, falling to his knees with his hands kept apart by the quirk nullifying chains attached to the wall.

Controlled like a marionette on tight strings, your violet, cog-shaped irises showed no mercy.

"Wha— what a h-hero..."

Those were his last words.

When he dropped to the floor with an echoed thud, you woke up.

Your panicked scream was muffled by your pillow.

It felt so realistically grim that it made you sweat profusely even if you were only in shorts and a tank shirt. Your fan was on, your balcony door was wide open, too. Yet, when you snapped up from your bed, your back, arms and hands were soaked as if you've ran around U.A. for hours.

Breathe.

"You would never, [name]," you reassured yourself, making that phrase some sort of religious affirmation. "I don't kill."

You got up to go to the bathroom, proceeding to splash your face with water. You thought that you might just start to get ready and glanced at the clock on your headboard, 03:48.

Groaning to yourself, you walked back to your bed and grabbed a fleece blanket to throw around your shoulders. You then walked out of your room, grabbing your keys on the way, to the rooftop you described as a peaceful sanctuary.

And this peaceful sanctuary had already inhibited another this early in the morning. Bakugou Katsuki.

He sat leant against the pillar between two window panes with his head tilted to the cloud-filled sky, still dark from the night with no light coming from the stars he would usually gaze into.

But when you stepped through the window, he didn't need to look at anything else.

You stopped in front of him, waving tiredly with a lopsided smile. "Can I sit?" You asked in a soft demeanour. When he nodded, you plopped yourself beside him, covering his shoulders with the same blanket around yours.

Bakugou sniffled because of the cold, little clouds forming from his nose or mouth whenever he let out a breath. He looked at you from the corner of his eye and scooted close enough so that the little sparks from his hands warmed you both up.

He felt your head on his broad shoulder. You were relaxed, but also tense. He knew that feeling.

"How long have you been out here?" He heard you say, the sound of your voice bouncing off the walls and back. "It's cold."