Chapter 40

I smiled, watching Mariella, Lucy, and David climb out of the car. Mariella bounded up the steps, barely checking for her parents that followed. I went to open the door, and embrace my family, but I froze over the doorknob, remembering Miss's rule. I already had two yellow cards, and I did not want to earn myself a third one before my court date.

So I waited for Miss to bustle into the room, and open the door. I watched Miss lean down, smiling at Mariella.

"Well, hi there. And what's your name?' Miss asked, her tone soft and so kid-friendly I almost did a double take.

"Mariella." She replied, and I stepped from behind the door.

Mariella's face lit up, and she ran through the door and bombarded me in a bear hug. She was only to the height of my belly button, so I leaned down to pick her up and rest her on my hip.

I planted a kiss on her cheek, and she snuggled closer into my neck.

"I've missed you." She cooed.

I squeezed her tighter, and smiled at Lucy and David as they shook Miss's hand. I let down Mariella, and hugged them each. Lucy smelt of a faint Channel 1. perfume, while David smelt of a husky cologne mixed with a paperwork smell.

"Well, come on into the living room." Miss motioned, her hospitality shining. I've never seen her so nice before.

Lucy and David stepped inside, looking around. Mariella grabbed my hand, and Miss led the way to the living room.

Lucy and David sat together, Miss on her main chair, and Mariella sat on my lap across from everyone. A water pitcher sat on the coffee table, with elegant glasses I've never seen before.

"We really appreciate you opening your home like this, until we get this resolved." David started, half-smiling.

As I looked closer, I notched faint dark circles embedding his eye lids. He looked distressed, and tired.

"Oh course, Mr. and Mrs. Platt." Miss smiled, revealing her clunky teeth.

Lucy looked around, frowning. "If you don't mind me asking, where is everyone? There are other children here, correct?"

"Oh, yes. They're at the park, filling out their community service hours. Lindsey was excused for today because of the court date." Miss explained, taking a sip of water.

I mentally cursed, averting Lucy and David's befuddled stare.

"Community service?" David questioned, leaning closer to Miss and glancing quickly at me for some kind of reassurance.

"I'm sorry," Miss raised an eyebrow, "I thought you already knew."

"Knew what?" Lucy asked, her tone tentative.

Mariella sat suddenly silent, sensing an intense discussion was impending. I stared at my nails, my lips pressed into a firm line.

"Last week, the kids slipped out of their rooms at two a.m, and went downtown to an abandoned alleway. They were sketching graffiti on the walls-"

"What?!" Lucy nearly jumped out of her seat.

Miss winced, knowing from my knowledge it was only going to get worse. "When they got arrested, and was kept in a holding cell for the night."

"Arrested?!" It was David's turn to explode.

Lucy but her lip, placing a hand on her husbands thigh. "How were we not informed of this?"

"I was told they each had one call, so I assumed.." She trailed off, looking guilty.

David and Lucy's gaze turned to me. "Why didn't you call us?"