Chapter 47

"Small Cappacino, please?" I asked the barista behind the counter, who nodded and wrote my order on a piece of paper.

"It'll just be a few minutes." She smiled.

I went to hand her a five dollar bill, when Nathaniel pulled back my hand gently and handed her a ten.

He just grimly smiled at me, and received his change from the lady.

"How does over there, look?" I asked, pointing to the corner of the Coffee shop.

He nodded, and let me lead the way. I sat down near the wall, and watched him take his seat across from me. Awkward silence fell over us, as I scratched at a dent in the table. Maybe this was a bad idea, I thought.

"So, what got you into Law? I thought you were heading into the direction of Veterinary school." He spoke up,

"Yeah, well..Lucy-" I paused, "You remember Lucy, right?"

He nodded.

I continued, "Lucy said Law school was more money-enriching."

"Did you even want to do Law?" Nathaniel asked, his tone having a bit of edge in it.

I parted my lips to respond snarkily, when a waiter saved the moment and stood at our table with our drinks.

I smiled, and took the drink in my cold hands. Autumn was a chilly time in New York. "It's fine-I like it anyway."

Nathaniel just nodded.

"So what about you, Mr. Sky?" I asked with a cheeky grin. "How did you get into Law? Last time I heard, you didn't want to go to College."

He chuckled, the tension easing at the table. "Yeah, well I didn't. But my-" he stopped himself short, swallowing.

I just raised a questioning eyebrow, not trying to press him.

"My fiancé urged me to apply late. She had, um, good connections with the Deans so with my SAT scores, and her recommendation, I got in quickly."

Fiancé. I didn't know why a twinge of something felt off in my stomach.

"Fiancé." I repeated, with a forced smile. "How'd you meet her?"

He shifted uncomfortably, gazing into my eyes with a look of something. "She was the daughter of a friend of my mothers."

"When are you getting married?" I found myself asking.

"Next year. It was a fast proposal so.." He trailed off, taking a sip of his black coffee.

"How have you been?" Nathaniel asked seriously, changing the subject.

"Fine," I smiled. "I've been fine. You know, everything is really the same. Lavender still has her apartment."

"She does?" He brightened. "I haven't seen her in so long.."

"Two a half years." I confirmed suddenly, strange irritation growing in the pit of my body as I set my eyes beyond the glass of the window. "It's been two and a half years."

His smile was replaced with a look of sadness, and he leaned forward to murmur lowly, "I'm sorry. For everything."

"I think it's a little too late for that, Nathaniel." I said easily, finally meeting his eyes, hardness plastered into my expression.

"I know I didn't handle it properly-"

"You didn't." I interrupted, actually meeting his eyes.

He put down his coffee, wincing. "I never apologized."