Chapter 5

Weeks past and the certain someone hadn't violated my dreams once. 

 Nathaniel and I, however, had had our normal disputes and he bugged me even more.

"Linds! Can you go to the store and get me my bread?" Lavender, as 'special' as she was, was allergic to almost everything. Gluten, soy, eggs. The list went on forever, really.

"Okay!" I called back. I finished the last sentence to the chapter of my book and went into the kitchen to get the keys.

I turned to walk out the door but was stopped by the 'O shirtless one.'

"Hold up. I need something too."

I chuckled. "What, did one of your girlfriends stop by recently?"

He cringed. "You're disgusting." He pulled a shirt over his head.

"Wow, you do own a shirt!"

 He mimicked me and ran over to the fridge. Nathaniel searched for the orange juice carton and took a swig right from it.

It was my turn to cringe. "No, you're disgusting."I turned to Lavender. "I'll get some orange juice too.. I don't want to put us in danger of getting diabetes." She laughed.

He made a face. "Diabetes isn't contagious."

I walked to him and pointed to his throat. "You've got a little-" at the last second, I flicked upward. "Now who's smart."

~~~~~~~~

"You're a terrible driver!" He screamed as the car lurched forward once more.

"Shut up! You're making me nervous!"

His eyes were filled with pure terror as he gripped the safety handle above the door. His knuckles were white.

The store was on the right, which meant I had to cut in front of three lanes, plus ongoing traffic.

That was a problem.

I took a deep breath and he looked at me. "Wait, you're not going to-"

"Ahhh!"

"Ahhhhh!"

Our screams were combined as I cut the steering wheel quickly across the lanes. The car made a loud screeching sound and Nathaniel belched, "HAIL MARY, FULL OF GRACE, THE LORD IS WITH THEE!"

I finally pulled into the parking lot of the store and forcefully hit the breaks. Our boisterous breathing filled the silence. 

He stared daggers at me. "Do you even have your license?"

"Yes." It was quiet when I finally looked at him. "You're Catholic?"

He took a deep breath and stared straight ahead. "Nope."

When the shock was finally finished, we tentatively opened our doors.

I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, shaking. "Okay, so I'll get the bread. You get whatever you're getting."

He nodded, swiftly walking in the other direction. 

I searched for the bread once I made it into the store and finally found it. 

I paid for the bread at the register and finally found Nathaniel. He had a prescription bag in his hand.

I grinned. "Wonder what that is.."

He scowled. "It's medication. For me."

"Whatever you say."

We continued to bicker until we exited the store. 

I fell silent once my gaze settled on a certain someone; my stomach lurched.

I saw him. Walter with a burning cigarette in his hands, his friend's encircling him.

Terror built up in my chest and I placed my head down. Nathaniel stopped talking and looked at me. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Can we just get to the car-quickly." I mumbled.

He was confused. "Sure."

The sounds of a beer bottle exploded in front of us and I stopped in my tracks. 

Nathaniel looked up. "Hey, watch it man!"

"Nathaniel, shut up." I said quickly. I was praying they wouldn't come over.

"Well look who it is!" His voice entered my mind like a scary memory, the deep, gruff voice hitched my breath.

I held my head up and met his eyes. 

"You know him?" Nathaniel questioned.

I didn't answer and only looked at Walter. "I'm surprised you had the energy to actually get up and come here."

He smirked. "Still the same, aren't you?"

"As always." I said curtly.

He pulled his mouth into a snarl and curled his finger as if saying come here. I contemplated this situation. I needed to face up him, right? He's not going to do anything, I kept telling myself.

I stepped forward, a hard expression on my face. Nathaniel grabbed my elbow, his finger pressing into the soft parts. It felt like a fire sensation.

"Are you insane?"

I looked at him. "Maybe."

~~~~~~~~

He pulled me. "Let's go." I closed my eyes and let him guide me to the car. I turned my head and locked eyes with Walter.

"That's right, you better run."

I can't really explain what followed this statement. One second I was in the grasp of Nathaniel, and the next I was sprinting toward him; anger was pulsing through my veins.

His eyes widened as I edged closer to him and Nathaniel was running after me. But I was faster only because of my advantage of time.

 He was yelling at me to stop but I chose to ignore his angry pleas. I finally reached Walter and punched him square on the side of the face. It was a hard blow for the both of us, to be honest.

He buckled over. "You little-"

I didn't let him finish. I kicked his stomach and before I could react again, he took his cigarette butt and pressed it cleanly on my arm.

I cried in pain and I went to hit him again when I felt arms enclose around my stomach. I was lifted off the ground and being carried by Nathaniel to the car. Anger was stuck in Walters eyes and he went to follow but his friends stopped him.

He screamed. "Yeah, that's right. Bitch." The crazy look in his eye scared me.