Chapter 10

She laughed. Laughed. "I'm sorry, but I don't have a daughter."

"Um, yes. You do." I shoved my file toward her. She studied it, then pressed her lips together.

"Oh, sweetie." The women shook her head. "Could you come in for a moment? I'd like to explain it all."

I didn't understand. Was this women my mother or not?

I was suddenly angry. "Are you my mother?"

Worry reflected in her brown eyes. "She'd told this might happen." She murmured to herself. "Is your name Linsdey?"

"You still haven't answered my question." I said through clenched teeth.

She motioned to the door. "Please, just come in."

I stood silent, not wanting to follow in. But all too soon, I found myself in a decorative living room, sipping fruit punch. The women was rummaging in the kitchen, and shortly stepped back into the room I was occupying.

Holding out a small, white plate filled with cookies, I simply shook my head. I just wanted her to get to the point.

The nameless women sat down, her khakis crinkling toward the groin area. She clasped her hands, and placed them on her lap.

"I'm sure you want me to explain."

Um, yeah.

I nodded.

She followed my action. "I am not your mother."

My stomach sank. This whole trip was a waste of time.

"But I do know who she is." She stopped. "Honey, I'm your aunt."

I let my mouth drop. "No your not. I don't have any family."

"Im not really approved to tell you this, so I won't tell you the whole story."

I narrowed my eyes. "I'm almost seventeen, and I've never had any information on this topic."

Guilt flashed in her eyes, but it was gone before I could make sure. "Look, honey-"

"Don't call me honey." I snapped. Okay, maybe I was being rude. But who could blame me?

She pressed her lips together, and took a tentative bite of her cookie. "Lindsey."

I waited.

"Your father is no longer with us."

I was confused. "Where is he?"

"That's the thing. He's passed."

He's passed. Her voice seemed to bounce in my head.

I didn't have a dad.

"Where's my mom?"

She smiled, sending wrinkles to the corners of her eyes. "She's in Los Angeles."

"Los Angeles?" I exclaimed. "Los, freaking, Angeles?! That's, like, three thousand miles away!"

She shrugged. "Only six hours by plane."

My body heated up. "I've never been on a plane, lady."

"You will one day. Here," she got up, and made her way into the kitchen. I heard a drawer opening, and moments later she returned with a slip of paper.

"This is her address."

"Wait, you're not going to explain to me why her actual address wasn't on my files?"

 "I'm not allowed to. I'm sorry."

She was starting to get on my nerves. "What, the swat police is going to jump in through the windows and arrest you?" I joked.