Chapter 6

"Are you trying to get yourself killed?" He yelled at me, a look of determination shining in his eyes.

I glared. "No. I knew what I was doing."

He scowled and pointed toward my burned arm. "Yeah, looks like it." 

 It was silent the whole ride home, making an angry, awkward time. Nathaniel didn't understand my side of the story, and Lavender certainly did not.

Yeah, my arm was burning, but I ignored it. "I'm fine."

We were soon in the living room, discussing my the scene.

"You know, I'm not nine. We don't need a family meeting."

He threw up his arms and turned around. "Do you not understand the consequences of your actions? That guy, whoever he was, said he would hunt you down. Hunt you down, Lindsey! You're stupid!"

A thin fennel of tears made it's way to my eyes from anger. "Why do you even care?" I spat out.

He snorted.

Lavender clear her throat. "Okay, everyone just needs to.." she finished with a motion. 

A small smile made it's way to my face.

"You're sixteen-"

"Seventeen soon!" I interjected.

She frowned. "As I was saying, you're sixteen. Normal teenagers don't go through this."

"I have you."

She shook her head. "We need to go to the police."

I stood up abruptly. "No! I'll have to go back into foster care! Once I turn eighteen, I'm free of it. Just two more years and I'm out."

sShe sighed. "Fine. We won't. But you have to get out of here."

"Where am I supposed to go?" 

But then it came, my eyes brightening.  "I could destroy my paperwork."

 "Are you nuts? That'd be like dropping off the face of the earth. You could never get a family."

The last sentence sent a feeling of despair to my chest. "Lavender. It's been eleven years. I don't think anyone's looking for a sixteen year old."

She pressed her lips together, only because she knew it was true. Parents only wanted little kids. They didn't want teenagers.

"Then it's settled." I announced, looking at both of them. "I'll take my file."

~~~~~~~~

"We can't make big decisions like this so quickly. Where do we even get your paperwork?"

I never did like the fact that a kids life is recorded on a piece of paper. You're mistakes are basically based on the person you are.

I didn't have to think about it. "My foster house."

"You're going to go back there?"

I shrugged. "I'm going to have to."

Lavender eyes flicked back and forth, her tell tale sign of heavy-thinking. Then, a grin was plastered to her face. 

She looked up at Nathaniel.

"What?" He questioned.

"You're going with her."

What? No.

"No!" We both said simultaneously.

He shook his head, his spiked overgrown hair flying every-so slightly. "I am not going with the crazy chic. Nuh uh. No."