Chapter 9

I don't really remember my parents. Which is strange, because doesn't everyone remember at least glimpse of their childhood at the age? It felt like my memory was wiped, and had no recollection of any years up to foster care. Anything before that, zip.

I remember telling Lavender when was fourteen.

"I can't remember anything of my parents.. Is that normal?"

Her eyebrow twitched briefly, but it was so fast I had to make sure it was what I thought. "Yeah, totally." She placed a hand on my arm. "Don't worry about it. It must have been a traumatic experience for you at that young of an age."

I didn't believe her. "Do you remember things from when you were around five?"

She paused, "Well, yes." I shrunk.

"But I'm a different person, Lindsey." Lavender added hurriedly.

I forced a small smile. "You're right."

"You look like you're planning a murder." He interjected. "Should I be worried?"

"Shut up, Nathaniel. Is it wrong to give a girl some peace?" I really did not like him.

I felt his eyes on me. "I feel like you have an invisible wall in front of you."

I sighed. "What are you talking about, Nathaniel?"

"When someone cares, or tries to care about you, you shut them out. Why is that?"

I didn't answer, just rolled down my window and enjoyably felt the wind through my hair.

He angrily sighed, and rolled it back up. "Just give me the directions, so I can get out of this car with you."

That stung, but I acted as if it didn't. Rolling my eyes, I grabbed the map. "Turn left there."

"Where?"

"There!"

"Where is there?!"

Anger boiled inside of me suddenly, and I grabbed the steering wheel. "There!"

He tried to yank it back, but we rolled off over a divider and into a lone parking lot. The car jolted forward.

"Are you insane?!"

I scowled. "I think we've established this."

"Oh come on Lindsey. That's the first freaking rule of driving! Didn't your dad-" he stopped short.

"Oh no, keep it coming Nathaniel."

"I didn't mean it like that!"

"What did you mean it like?"

"Nothing!" That's it, I grabbed the door and yanked it open. Stepping out, I leaned against the car.

I heard a similar sound, and he was suddenly standing next to me. "Oh, what you're gonna pout now?" He smirked. "Classic."

I ignored him.

He bitterly laughed. "I can't believe you! If one person makes one mistake, you freak out like its the end of the world! Well news flash, sweetheart, it's. Not!"

I turned suddenly, and slapped him hard across the face. He was stunned.

But not as stunned as I was when he did this.

Grabbing the sides of my face, he leaned in and pressed his lips firmly to mine.

~~~~~~~~

I pushed him off me. "What is wrong with you?"