Chapter 4

Walter was running after me. Sweat was starting to prickle on my face as I sprinted as hard as I could. He can't get me, he just can't. The same thing repeated in my head, faster, faster, faster! I turned the corner of the pavement road and urged my long legs to go faster. For an overweight person, he was still quick. It was midnight and the whole neighborhood seemed like it was asleep. It felt like I was trapped.

Because I was.

"I'm gonna get you, Lindsey!" His voice was rough and I heard the effort that was made to make that statement.

I started to pant and fear pushed me harder. My lungs gasped for air while my legs were burning.

"Help! Help!" I screamed.

 No one came and the darkness seemed to swallow our figures up. He was getting closer, closer. I was falling back for some reason.

Walter finally reached me, and-

"Ahhhhh!" I woke up with complete panic in my eyes. A dream. It was dream.

More like a nightmare. The door suddenly opened and Nathaniel's figure appeared. His hair was messy and he wore nothing but boxers. "Are you okay? I heard screaming."

I was gasping for air as perspiration clung to my body. I was trembling. He noticed and started to come over.

 I put up a hand. "Don't."

He shrunk back and hurt flashed in his eyes for a brief second. He only nodded. 

Lavender suddenly appeared. "I heard screaming."

"I'm fine." I motioned for everyone to leave.

She hesitated. "Are you sure?"

I faked a smile. "Yeah, it was just a nightmare. No big deal." She slowly nodded and returned to her room.

I didn't need to look at him. I felt his presence. "I'm fine."

"Yeah but-"

"Can you just leave?" 

He didn't say anything, just left.

I was suddenly alone and secretly yearned for a person to comfort me. And knowing my best friend, she came back ten minutes later and hugged asleep.

~~~~~~~~

When I went back to sleep that night, I dreamt of shopping. It was humorous, of all things. But this moment wasn't.

"What happened last night?" Lavender was sitting across from me at the kitchen table, peering at me. Nathaniel was sent out to food shop.

I shrugged. "Nothing. It was just a bad dream."

She let her shoulders drop in defeat. "Stop it."

"Stop what?"

"Stop acting like nothing's wrong! I know you're a standoffish person, but it's been especially bad latley." She looked at me, her similar brown eyes searching my own. "Just let me in."

I sighed after moments of contemplation. "It was about Walter." 

I gulped, remembering the terrifying feeling I had felt the night before. "He had found me."

She bit her lip. "What would happen if he did?"

"I don't know. I don't think it'd be good."

"Well we have to do something."

I let out a short laugh. "Like what?"

"We can tell the police." Her earrings bounced against her neck.