Chapter 29

I was having the dreams again. Walter, chasing me in a park. I couldn't exactly understand why I was still terrified of the drunk man who had done horrible things to me. I woke up with a scream, my chest heaving and adrenaline pulsing through my veins. I slid out of bed, checking the time. It read, 10:45.

I brushed my teeth, and washed my face. My lips were slightly puffy, probably because of all the previous kissing.

I made my way downstairs, the house being oddly quite. It was a Saturday, and usually the kids were hyper.

Turning the corner, I stopped dead in my tracks. Walter stood at the stove, stirring something which smelled of bacon.

I recognized his dense body, his piggish legs. Placing a hand to my mouth to help subside my breathing, I slowly and cautiously took a step backward.

"Good morning, Lindsey."

I paused, closing my eyes; hoping for the ground to swallow me up.

Walter turned around, wiping his hands on a dish towel with a sly grin. "That's no way to treat an old friend."

~~~~~~~

"What are you doing here?" I asked, mentally searching for a weapon if possible. I didn't think a lamp could do any damage.

He shrugged, throwing the towel down and checking his bacon. "Hellen and I are meant for eachother."

I snorted, crossing my arms and subconsciously tugging my short-shorts down. "Are you sure about that?"

"She went to the park with the other kids." He said, ignoring my sneer question. "She didn't want to wake you."

I sighed. "Shame. I could've avoided you."

He pulled out a plate, and slid the bacon onto it. "Oh she didn't tell you?"

I raised an eyebrow.

"She's letting me live here for awhile." He continued.

My heart faltered, skipping a beat.

He chuckled, catching onto my facial expression. "Didn't expect that, did you?"

"You kidnapped me." I said in a shaky voice.

Walter chomped on a piece of bacon, looking off into the distance. "And oh, was that fun."

I didn't answer, just watched him.

He looked back at me, leaning onto the counter. "Where's that boy that attacked me?"

Nataniel. I had to protect him. "He moved." I lied.

"Hm. Shame. I was really hoping I'd see him again; show him how to really fight."

Walter started to pace, taking a bite of bacon. "You know, if it wasn't for him, I could've gotten away with it."

"I doubt that." I retorted quickly. "I still have the option of telling the police, you know."

He stopped, and took bounding strides toward me. I tensed, and stared into his bloodshot eyes.

"I don't think that'd be a good idea." He said in a husky voice, anger seething through his eyes. My instincts screamed at me to run, but it was like I was frozen in place. "Because I could always deny, deny, deny."

I glared. "I have witnesses."

"Oh really? Well, no one witnessed you attack me that night. Remember the beer bottle?"

I did.

"Self defense." I offered.

He snorted, and backed away. "Like anyone will believe you. I don't think you realize that I could get you kicked out of here faster than anything, so I'd watch your behavior if I were you."