Chapter 37

Loud knocking banged against the large, wooden doors. I looked up from my homework, raising an eyebrow at Lucy and David cooking dinner. It was five o'clock, making it late and random for someone to intrude onto someone's front door step.

Lucy wiped her hands on the dish towel, and retreated to the door with her clicking heels. David shrugged in my direction, and I did as well. I went back to my History homework.

A man's voice erupted, but I didn't look up as I continued my answer for number three.

"Lindsey." Lucy said, her tone light and cautious.

I looked up into the eyes of a friendly-looking man, and I smiled and stood up.

"Hi." I greeted, shaking his hand.

He smiled. "Hello, Lindsey. It's nice to meet you."

A flash of confusion ran across my face when he spoke my name. How did he know it?

"My name is Craig, and I am your assigned social worker." Craig said.

My entire body ran numb, my heart beating rapidly. "My..what?"

Craig pressed us lips together. "I'm afraid we have a problem."

~~~~~~~~

"What kind of problem?" I asked, bewildered, as I sat down on the chair. Lucy sat next to me, worried-looking, and held my hand.

David came from the kitchen, and handed Craig a glass of water.

Craig smiled his thanks, and returned to the conversation. "We've had an anonymous complaint about your home, here."

"What kind of complaint?" David asked, his tone slightly angry.

Craig opened a folder, slipping out a piece of paper and glancing at it. "Unfit guardians, slight abuse, and unfit home-environment."

"That's ridiculous." David spit, standing up and crossing his arms.

"There's obviously some mistake." Lucy said, shaking her head at nothing in particular.

Craig grimaced. "I can assure you, there is no mistake."

"Well obviously there is!" David yelled, slamming his hand on the table. I jumped.

Lucy stared at David. "David, calm down-we'll figure this out."

"What's going to happen to me?" I suddenly interrupted, my eyes squeezed shut. Another family? Orphanage? Foster home? The possibilities were endless.

"You're not disposable, Lindsey." Lucy said after a moment of silence, touching my cheek as if reading my mind.

I reopened my eyes, and asked quietly once more, "What, is going to happen to me?"

Craig sighed, setting down is piece of paper and folding his hands. "Because there is even a complaint filed, Lindsey and Mariella will have to be removed from the premises until the courts verdict."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Lucy said, slicing her hand in the air. "You're taking both of my daughters? And what is this court date you're speaking about?"

"Because they are both adopted, they will both have to be taken from the house. Although, there is something I may be able to do about Mariella; only because of the amount of time she's been here-which is about," he stopped, shuffling in his papers, "five months?"

"Around there." David informed.

Craig nodded, continuing, "Unfortunatley, I don't think there is anything I can do about Lindsey's removal. She's only been here for about a month, I presume?"