Chapter 26

I sprinted for twenty seconds, my feet plummeting hard against the treadmill. As soon as I hit twenty, I lifted myself up and rested my feet on the sides, my chest heaving. I watched the time as it somehow rushed quickly over ten seconds. I sighed and jumped back on, sprinting again. I was doing everything I could to go forget the recent weeks' memories.

I had broken up with Nathaniel, and I hadn't thought about it once.

For the past week; I have received twenty seven missed calls from Nathaniel, and twenty two missed calls from Lavender.

I've refused to answer my phone.

It had almost become an art of mine to avoid Lavender in school. I know she's been trying to find me, but I've been dodging every corner. I haven't spoken a word to her since the day of the meeting with his parents, and I don't intend to.
She had dated Nathaniel for who-knows how long, and I don't understand why it was bothering me so much. Maybe it was the fact that they had both lied to me, or maybe it was the treason of my best friend's earlier boyfriend; Nathaniel.

A tear slipped out of my eye without me knowing, and even though I was mostly alone in the local gym, I rushed to swipe it away. Crying was for the weak, and I most definitely was not weak.

I pumped my arms faster, my legs springing. It felt good to sprint; to get away from everything.

I slowed down, to a light jog, than walk, letting my heartbeat slow down before hopping off. I grabbed my phone and checked it. It read:

3 missed calls from Nathaniel.

2 missed calls from Lavender.

I rolled my eyes, and shut it off. They had lied to me about something that was obviously shocking, and I wanted space.

Nathaniel and I were something that never should've happened.
I wanted to move on.

~~~~~~~~

Low knocking sounded against my door, and I sat with a jolt. It was quite for the first few moments, when the door finally opened a crack.
"Lindsey?" It was Tanya's voice, and I looked up.

"What's up?" I asked, forcing a grin.

She eyed me, and shut the door. Tanya sat down on my bed, still studying me. "Are you okay?"

I smiled wider. "Yeah, why?"

"Because about a year ago, my friend broke up with her boyfriend. She cried for a week, and didn't talk to anyone." She answered in a monotone. "You're carrying around like Santa has picked you to be the Chosen elf."

I laughed at her analogy, and shook my head.

Her gaze softened. "Lindsey. I don't understand-"

"I'm fine." I reassured her.

"Has he called you?" She asked meekly, as if unsure of the answer.

I shrugged. "Yeah."

Tanya cocked an eyebrow.

"Twenty seven times." I paused, and held up a finger. "Wait, make that twenty eight. He called this morning."

Tanya's eyes widened. "Twenty eight times? That's insane."

She reached into a bag, and pulled out a chocolate chip muffin and Starbucks cup. "Here." I licked my lips, and took the goodies from her. Taking a triumphant bite, chocolate Immediately melted into my tongue.

Tanya got up, and I parted my lips. "Where are you going?"

"Out." She answered, than spun around. "Just so you know, if I had a boy like that who likes me that much?" Tanya shrugged, a lopsided smile, "I wouldn't give him up."