Chapter 28

A/N: Crazy chapter! Happy reading.

Tanya was officially adopted and gone. Lavender and I were getting back to becoming what we were, and the 'hangout,' was tonight. I honestly didn't understand myself.

Tanya's new adoptive parents lived in Michigan, so she pulled out of my school and took a plane to her new life. I was happy for her. I was just wanting my foster-years to be over. One year left.

I grabbed my phone, jacket, and checked myself in the mirror oncemore. Before Tanya left, she kept her promise of teaching me how to properly apply makeup. It was shaky at first, but with each day passing, I was improving.

Todd was a good boyfriend, I thought to myself. He really did care about me, and it definitely showed.

I jogged down the stairs, swinging open the door and meeting the cold. Todd was meeting me there so I could just drive directly to Lavenders. 

Taking a deep,wavering breath, I climbed into Hellen's car. I haven't spoken or talked to Nathaniel in a month, (let alone seen the boy,) and I was worried.

Staring the ignition, I pulled out of the icy driveway and started toward Lavender's apartment complex.

~~~~~~~~

"Hey, beautiful." Someone said as I got out of the car. 

I looked up with a smile and spotted Todd slinging an arm over my car. He had on jeans and a brown snugly coat.

I shut the door and walked over to his side. "Hello."

"Ready for this?" He asked, moving a strand of hair away from my face.

I nodded. 

Todd laughed, leaning in and kissing me. His breath tasted of clean mint and it took all of me to break away from the moment.

"We should go inside." I whispered, something stinging my eye.

Todd nodded, gently grazing his thumb over my cheek. Slinging an arm over my shoulder, we walked up the stairs to her floor. "Now, why didn't you tell me Lavender lived here when we came that night?"

I shrugged, staring ahead. "I guess it slipped my mind."

"Mmhm." He cocked an eyebrow, doubt seeping through his reply.

I leaned into him as we approached the door. Loud, pop music sounded through the door.

 I took a breath, staring at the white paint.

"You okay?" He asked, glancing at me.

I barely looked at him. "Yeah." There was no way I was telling him of my recent relationship with the boy we were about to encounter. Can you spell awkward?

Todd knocked on the door, his arm still over me. I suddenly felt claustrophobic again and edged away slightly.

The door swung open, Lavender standing there. She smiled, "Hey guys. Todd, it's so great to see you again."

"You too, Lavender." 

Lavender motioned inside. "Come on in."

I pushed away my nerves, not pondering, and stepped inside. I immediately smelt pizza, the cheese and sauce wafting around me.

"Smells good." I bumped Lavender as she walked past me.

"It's amazing what a takeout menu will do." She whispered, grinning and moving ahead.