The Run

©2014 Sydney Wray

"You can't kick me out!"

I stood, gaping. My foster mother was currently catapulting the only bag I owned from the steps of our run-down foster house.

 She winced in guilt. 

My bag landed with a thunk and I gasped, still not registering the situation.

"Lindsey it was either this or his explanation to the police. Juvenile jail is not fun."

"Well, where am I supposed to stay?"

"You're sixteen, you can get emancipated." Hellen reasoned like it was that easy.

"I need a court and your signature. Those things take months. You can't do this!" I cried, completely bewildered.

"I want you to say. I do, but-"

"But what?" I interjected. "You cannot just kick me out of my foster house! I'm sure that's illegal, dammit!"

Hellen shook her head. Her short, curly blonde hair barely moved.

 She stepped forward to me.  

"Lindsey," Her tone was reassuring, "I love you like a daughter, and I've had you under my roof since you were a little girl. I know you'll be fine."

 She reached into her pocket and pulled out four to five twenty dollar bills. 

Hellen shoved it into my hand and placed a finger to her lips. "You take care now. You know my number if you need help." Hellen pinched my straight, brown hair, merely touching the side of my bruised face.

I nodded, a tear dripping out of my brown eyes. Without saying anything, I picked up my lonesome bag and walked away without a second glance.

                                                      ~ 2 Days Earlier~

"Lindsey, make yourself useful and get me another beer." He said without taking his eyes off the screen. 

No one was home but us. Hellen was out with all six children.

I rolled my eyes and set down my mechanical pencil. Geometry obviously had to take a break.

Reaching into the fridge, I grasped a cold bottle of beer and strolled back into the top. I held it out and he didn't seem to notice my presence-only the bottle. Walter reached out without taking his eyes off the screen and I dropped it at the last second with a smile.

The sound startled him, anger flashing in his dark eyes. "What the hell was that for?"

I shrugged, barely able to contain my smile. "Oops."

Walter stood up abruptly. 

I fake gasped and put a hand to my heart. "So you can stand up!" I looked up to the ceiling. "Thank you Lord, for this miracle."

He glared and raised a challenging finger. "You better watch yourself."

I raised my eyebrows, enjoying my moment of toying with him. "You better watch yourself." I waved a hand over my body. "If you even raise a finger to me, you'll probably be arrested." I was bluffing, but only to scare him.

"You're bluffing."

I shrugged. "I don't think you wanna test my knowledge."

He smiled and stepped forward. "I don't think you wanna try me."