A Gift After The Death of a Bully is Never a Good Sign

Chapter Five: A Gift After The Death Of A Bully Is Never A Good Sign

•••

He hasn't returned.

The moment he agreed to the deal and shook my hand to seal it, he disappeared into thin air, leaving me wondering whether he even existed to begin with.

I watch the remainder of the day slip by, trying to avoid people who want to relate with me just to milk information out of me. I also try my possible to concentrate in my classes.

Despite all of this, I find it aggravating that the golden haired boy deems it appropriate to just vanish whenever he likes, providing no explanation whatsoever.

The sound of the bell is heard, cutting off whatever our history teacher was saying. Students leap off their seats and hurry out, not even having the curtesy to wait for the man to complete his sentence.

I stare apologetically at him, trying to silently remind him that not every teenager is rude and he smiles, expressing silent gratitude as he gathers his files.

Gathering my things, I shove them into my backpack, stopping when I feel a shadow looming over me. Looking up, I catch Cherry grinning at me.

"Hi." The dark skinned girl waves, sitting herself on my table, pushing her brown curls to the side, brown eyes seeming friendly as always, and remembering she has never been mean to me, but has actually been somewhat nice, I spare her a small smile.

"Hi, Cherry," I spare her a greeting, returning to packing my books in my old bag.

"Here." She thrusts something to me, and I look up to notice the pink bag she is holding.

For a moment, I just stare at her, taking in her pink scrunch, her pink gown and her manicured nails covered in pink nail polish. I furrow my brows, wondering how I never noticed the glaring pink. She's like the female version of my new devilish friend.

"Why are you handing that over to me?" I ask her, raising a brow at her, finding any act of kindness towards me very suspicious.

"Well, because it's rather sad the way you drag your weary bag around all day. It's torn already and you need a new one, so I thought it'd be nice to get one for you. Please accept." She grins enthusiastically and I glance at my bag, realizing that I really do need to get another one.

"You didn't have to," I tell her and she shrugs.

"I know, I know. Now, have it already and let's go have some fun."

I collect the bag from her, smiling to show my appreciation which she waves off. I turn to my old bag, removing all my things from it to transfer it into the new pink backpack.

"Have some fun?"

"Well, yeah. I heard the not so tragic news. Really, I should be telling you sorry for your loss, but I don't see the death of Ben as a loss. I mean, not to speak ill of the dead, but the dude was horrible."

I look up to find her still grinning at me, not showing the least remorse or sadness for the death of Ben. I scrunch my brows, not liking the tone of her voice.

"That he was a horrible person doesn't mean he deserved to die," I firmly state and she shrugs again, jumping off the table.

In a way, I find myself appreciating her honesty. Everyone has approached me today, feigning care for Ben, searching for sympathy points from the crowd. It's sickening. At least someone has the decency to say how she truly feels.

She mutters an apology that doesn't really sound sincere, but more like an attempt to placate me so I nod, deciding to accept her apology.

"So let's go. I heard you work at Lina's pastry. That's super cool! I frequent there to buy cupcakes. If I had known you were the one making 'em, I'd have gotten a lot more!" She gushes and I smile at the compliment, zipping the new bag and throwing it over my shoulder.