She's Feisty

Chapter Forty-Five: She's Feisty

~~~

By some miracle, all four of us manage to have a free hour at the same time.

I stare around the classroom and smile to hide my nerves when I find the three girls chatting animatedly amongst each other. Cherry catches my stare and she spares me a cheeky grin which attracts the attention of the others.

Nat who is sitting atop a table turns around and glares at me, her lips turned down in a frown and I draw in a deep breath to muster courage before I grip onto the strap of my backpack and walk over to the girls.

"Good morning everyone," I greet them and Cherry is quick to get up and wrap her arms around me in an embrace I realize I have missed.

"Seriously?" Nat passes Cherry a deadpanned stare and Cherry shrugs as she lets go of me.

"What can I say? I'm a hugger, not a hater." Cherry grins and Nat scoffs while Audrey just stares at me with apprehension in her eyes.

When Cherry settles down, they all stare expectantly at me. Well, except Nat, but I cannot blame her. I did kind of accuse her of killing Ben and Trixie. Yes, I know a lot of evidence points to her, but I have to give her the benefit of the doubt. That's what friends do.

I suck in a deep breath, my heart pounding in my chest as I fiddle with the hem of the ash hoodie Asher gave to me.

"I'm super sorry," I start in one breath. Nat's lips part to say something. Most likely to tell me to piss off, but I speak up before she has a chance to. "I know that doesn't begin to cover for what I did, but I don't know what to say nor what to do to convey how sorry I am and how I felt so lonely and lost yesterday without you."

Audrey watches me with furrowed brows, then much to my surprise, her lips part into a huge grin.

"You didn't seem lonely. You seemed perfectly fine, waltzing around with Allen and Tony. It was pretty hurtful to be honest. Especially to Cher here." She gestures to Cherry who looks away.

"Yeah. It just hurts seeing you frolicking with my ex and the person that took him away from me, that's all. But you're allowed to befriend whomever you want to. It's okay," she mutters under her breath and I shake my head.

"I know you all won't want to hear this, but Allen and Anthony are like the sweetest pair ever. If you can get past their craziness, that is." I chuckle in mild amusement, but Cherry shakes her head.

"I don't see that happening any time soon."

"I understand." I smile softly at her. "Anyway, the important thing is you girls are not replaceable and I love you so very much and I hope you'll forgive me." I round up my apology and stare at them with hopeful eyes.

Nat stares right back at me, a blank expression in her dark eyes. My breath seizes in my throat as I watch her, waiting, hoping she accepts my apology because her forgiveness matters the most right now.

"I'm not a girl." Nat's voice is monotone and I raise a brow in confusion.

"I don't get. But you are." I turn to Cherry and Audrey who shake their heads at me.

"I'm not," Nat repeats. "I have finally decided. As annoying as your friend is, he was right. I am non-binary and I henceforth will be addressed as they/them, and if you call me Natalie, I will drive a stake through your heart," they warn me, a deadpanned expression in their eyes.

My eyes widen in fright, but Nat's countenance soften as they break into a laugh and is joined by Audrey and Cherry.

"Your face!" Audrey states between laugh. "Priceless!"