Dig Your Talons Into Him And Make Fire Breathing Demon Babies

Chapter Nine: Dig Your Talons Into Him And Make Fire Breathing Demon Babies

•••

My heart is slamming against my ribcage and I fear it is going to break free and jump right out of my chest. Tiffany is smiling her smug smile at me and my lips part, the gears in my head turning as I struggle to come up with a response.

"How fascinating," I finally manage to spit out. "You have been screwed one too many times, your brain cells are coming unscrewed. What in the name of cinnamon bun covered in strawberry jam are you talking about?"

"Don't play dumb with me! Trix said –"

"Yes, I heard you the first time and I am still trying to un-hear you. Please, for the sake of your freedom, don't go about telling people that lest they lock you up in an asylum for good, and let me tell you, you won't be missed."

She sneers at me, her nose wrinkling in distaste while I struggle to keep my breathing in check, so as not to give away the fact that Sam really is the Devil.

Come to think about it, why exactly am I even trying to protect his secret? What is Trixie going to do? Walk around school yelling to everyone that I am friends with the Devil? No one will believe that.

"Moreover, let me agree he is the Devil, what will he gain from socializing with me?" I continue, still somehow feeling the urge to protect his identity.

Worst case scenario, Trixie is going to start spreading gossip about him and encourage bullying him and I don't think Sam will take being bullied lightly.

Yes, for the sake of every teenager here, I really have to keep his identity a secret.

"You're right," Tiffany agrees, eyeing me up. "What exactly will the Devil gain from socializing with a pathetic loser like you?"

I shrug in response and she looks like she is about to say another thing belittling, but is interrupted by Natalie who walks towards us, a frown on her face as she stares at Tiffany.

Immediately Tiffany sees her, she straightens herself, moving away from me as though I have an incurable illness. I furrow my brows as I watch Tiffany scratch the back of her neck nervously, her eyes darting everywhere but Nat.

"What have I told you about harassing my friends?" Nat calmly states, taking another step towards her.

"I'm sorry! It – it's just that Trix – Trixie said that –"

"Sweetie, I don't care about Trixie or what she said!" Nat snaps, taking another step towards Tiffany which she matches with a step backward.

I find it rather amusing that Tiffany is afraid of Nat. Sure, Nat looks stern and like she beats people up for sports, but to think one of the high school queens will actually accept being afraid of someone is just to be laughed at.

Yet here Tiffany is, flustered as Hell, all confidence she was displaying gone in a split second.

"If I catch you harassing my friend again, you will pay for it. Are we clear?" Nat calmly states and Tiffany fervently nods before scurrying away.

I watch her retreating figure, a glimmer of a smile on my lips.

"Well, that was cool. Thanks," I say to Nat and she waves her hand dismissively.

"That was nothing. She's not a bad kid, Tiff, she just happens to be gullible and hangs around the wrong people."

Despite not believing the 'she's not a bad kid' part of Nat's statement, I decide not to push it.

"Hey, Bells. Where's the cute new student?"

I am startled by Audrey's voice. Turning around, I catch her with Cherry walking up to me. She has a dreamy look on her face while Cherry has a slight frown, not seeming pleased with the fact that one of her friends is infatuated with the new kid.