Something Terrible Happened

Chapter Forty-Seven: Something Terrible Happened

~~~

Asher pulls me closer to him so my head is buried in his chest while he strokes my hair at an attempt to soothe me, but none of it seems to be working.

I hear Tony shuffle around with my locker while mummering incoherently under his breath. Suddenly I hear him clear his throat and come closer to us.

"There's a letter attached to the decapitated doll," he speaks up, his voice uncertain.

"Tony!" Allen harshly calls under his breath.

"What? I'm just trying to help here!" He protests and I pull away from Asher and take the note from Tony.

It is written in the same fine italic print as always and I feel a scream of frustration bubble in my throat, but I swallow it in and read the words, hoping it'll give me a clue as to who my sadistic admirer is.

YOU ARE THE MOST UNGRATEFUL PERSON EVER

OCCUPY MY HEART, TAKE IT ALL,

UNTIL YOU MEET ANOTHER TO RUN OFF WITH

WITHOUT ME, YOU'D BE NOTHING! UNSEEN AS USUAL

I SACRIFICED EVERYTHING TO MAKE YOU SOMEONE

LIES AND CRIMES AND MORE TO SHOW MY LOVE

LITTLE DID I KNOW YOU DESERVED NONE OF IT

PREPARE TO FACE THE CONSEQUENCES FOR YOUR ACTIONS

ANOTHER MAY BE LOST; AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT

Y O U W I L L P A Y!

"Okay, I don't know a lot about poetry, but I know that this is level-one creepy." Allen visibly shudders as he reads along with me and Asher.

"Whoever wrote this is out for blood, I have to say," Tony speaks up. He has a grimace on his face and I can see how unsettled he is.

His discomfort however is nothing compared to mine. My head swirls and if Asher wasn't holding me, I fear I may have lost footing already. My heart drums in my chest and I can hear my pulse ringing in my ears.

This is a direct threat, not just to me, but also to Asher.

What was I thinking? How stupid could I be? I knew from the onset that something about this admirer was not sitting right with me, but I went ahead to drag Asher into this! How stupid could I have been?

"I have to get out of here!" I state, my voice breathy as I feel my throat constrict so much, it hurts to breathe. Asher however makes no move to ease his hold on me.

"Don't think for a moment that we are letting you out of our sight after this. We have to turn it in to the cops!" Allen states firmly, snatching the letter from my grasp and tucking it into his pocket. "Perhaps they can dust your locker for fingerprints or something.

"I highly doubt the police will be of much help, considering..." I trail off, not knowing how to tell them there's been two murders already but the police closed it up as suicide.

There's no time to fool around anymore. I need to find Sam and we need to figure out who this person is before he can cause any more damage.

"Considering what?" Allen's brows shoot up in concern but I shake my head, choosing not to share that piece of information.

Asher looks at me sceptically and I can tell he has an inkling of what is going through my mind, but he also doesn't say anything, thankfully.

"Babe, I can't –"