Don't Be A Cat, Bells

Chapter Twenty: Don’t Be A Cat, Bells.

°°°

The day passes by in a flurry of activities that I don’t even register. By the end of the day, I find myself seated in at the round table in the dining room, facing Cherry and her moms Mrs. Alex Swift and Mrs. Blue Swift. The two women stare at me as though I am a broken doll, and I find myself unable to raise my fork under their scrutinizing gazes.

I stare down at the plate of pasta before me and idly stab my fork in the meal, appetite fleeing from me. In my head, distorted images of the day appear; finding Mrs. Lina’s husband cry over the news, visiting Cho who had injuries littered on her body, receiving multiple calls from Asher which I refused to answer.

Everything seems like a dream.

“Mommy, you’re staring,” Cherry finally breaks the ice and Mrs. Alex chuckles lightly as she picks up her glass of wine and lifts it to her lips, helping herself with a sip before she carefully sets it down on the coaster.

“I apologize. I’m just concerned. Anabelle, you –”

“Bells,” I correct her absentmindedly. She hums in confusion and I look up to meet her dark, intense hooded eyes. “I go by Bells. My name,” I clarify and she nods.

“Well, Bells, I’m sorry about every-”

“Why are you sorry? You didn’t cause any of the tragedies, did you?”

Mrs. Alex is taken aback by my low and cold tone, and I realize too late that I am being rude and uncalled for when the Swift family are only trying to be nice to me.

“I didn’t mean to snap, I apologize.” I set down my fork and push the chair backwards so I can get up. “I think it’s better if I’m alone for now. I need to process things.” I force a smile that I’m sure looks like a grimace, then I start making my way up the stairs.

I hear Cherry call out for me, but she is hushed by Mrs. Blue who advices her to give me some space, and I find myself extremely grateful to her for that.

Cherry has given me a short tour of the house already, so I don’t find it difficult to locate the spare room. I turn the knob on the cream-coloured door and it opens, revealing a rather large room with white walls and blue furniture that gives the room an underwater vibe.

I turn my back to the room to close the door. Inhaling deeply to ease out some of the stress, I turn around and almost scream at the sight before me. Pressed against the wall and close to the open window is a single bed draped in a sky-blue duvet. Atop the bed is none other than Sam himself.

He sits with his legs tucked beneath him and a white pillow on his legs. When he notices my shocked expression, his lips stretch into a sly smile that is soon replaced with a thoughtful frown as he stares at me studiously, head tilted slightly to the side.

Without thinking my actions through, I find my legs moving towards him and before I can stop myself, I throw my arms around him, desperately seeking comfort. He stiffens completely, totally taken by surprise for the first time and I find myself immediately pulling away from him, my cheeks flushed with colour at my impulsiveness.

Sam visibly relaxes when I let go, and I am reminded that Sam seems to go out of his way to avoid physical contact. His brows furrows to show momentary confusion which is immediately replaced with the usual boredom with a hint of slight amusement.

“What is it with humans and hugs? I do understand that dopamine is released and that somehow makes you feel better, but isn’t there another way to feel happiness without intruding on a person’s personal space?” He sounds bored, as though he’d rather be anyway but here. I don’t take it to heart though.