The Rainbow Looks Stupid

Chapter Forty-Six

Interlude: The Rainbow Looks Stupid

Sam's POV

The young man scrolled through the garden that serene afternoon. The sun cast its rays on the flowers and made them shine even brighter and more colourful and the man almost laughed at the simplistic perfection of his father's work.

Behind him, he could feel the presence of one of his demons who was giving reports of the happenings in Hell, though he wasn't exactly interested in what the demon had to say.

"Where's the demoness who usually reports to me?" The man snapped at the obviously flustered demon who backed away in fright, his head down.

He never addressed his helpers by their names even though he knew the names of every single soul that was in Hell. He thought being familiar with them would encourage them to be relaxed, and he couldn't have that.

Demons were rebels by nature; vile creatures he had to subdue. He had to be hard on them. He had to show little to no emotions, least they rioted. He couldn't deal with a riot. He knew first-hand how messy that could get.

"You have assigned her a lot more duties, Master, hence she requested I report to you."

Of course! How could he forget! He had given the young demoness the responsibility of looking after the little child while he was away.

His thoughts went to the girl. He knew he had to go to her soon. It wasn't safe to keep a human child under the close watch of a demon, but he had a lot of responsibilities. He couldn't be blamed.

He wanted to be angry at her for her words. Who was she to assume he didn't care about anything? Then again, she was merely human and he knew humans were anything but insightful. Granted, Angels didn't quite perceive emotions the way humans did, but it was wrong to assume they didn't feel anything.

He sought to be mad. It was easier to be angry, but try as he might, he couldn't be. Not when there was a pesky little emotion that decided to gnaw at his essence like a parasite overstaying its welcome.

Pain!

The man wanted to shed tears, but he couldn't. He wasn't sure he was even capable of such, but he was saddened. He wanted to be home with his siblings. He missed every single one of them. Even the annoying Guardian Angels who got on his very last nerves.

He most especially missed Gabriel who was even more uptight than Michael. He was sure the child and Gabriel would get along fine. He also missed the Seraphs. How he loved showing off his marvellous voice to them.

He didn't feel remorse for the riot though. He had his reasons for starting it. The humans, the other Angels, they didn't understand his Father the way he did. If they understood Him, they would have also started a riot. However, he wished he could have done things a different way so he'd still be on talking terms with his siblings.

"Are you paying any regard to me, Master?" The demon sought, snapping the Devil out of his thoughts.

"I am not. Your voice is ridiculous and you bore me. Now, I understand your vocal cords were ripped out and put back repeatedly, but can you try not to sound like someone threw a fistful of gravel into a woodchipper, then set it ablaze? It's awful."

"But, Master –"

"Just stop speaking to me!" The man shouted.

The demon bowed and he could feel the sadness radiating from his essence. He wasn't moved though. He couldn't be bothered about the feelings of a demon.