She's Dead

Chapter Forty-Nine: She's Dead

~~~

Staying alone in Sam's house proves to be harder than I expected as I become all too aware of the blinding white that surrounds me.

I pause for a moment, seated on the chair and staring around, wondering how Sam doesn't realize how painful it is to live in his house. Why does he hate colour so much?

My phone starts vibrating again and I blink rapidly, happy for the distraction. It is Asher that is calling me. No surprise there.

"Hi, Ash," I greet him.

"You've been ignoring my calls."

Okay! No greetings then! I deserve that.

"Glad to see that you're still safe and alive. Have you seen anything strange so far? Felt anyone following you?" I deicide to skip to the important things rather than pick yet another fight with my new boyfriend.

Surely, these arguments cannot be healthy for our relationship.

Neither can the lies and secrets, Bells! How do you expect a healthy relationship with him when you are keeping so much from him?

Ash sighs deeply, but he seems to also be thinking in the direction of peace because his voice softens considerably.

"I haven't. Then again, I don't seem to notice much. I'm with Allen and Tony and some of the other boys you're not friends with yet. What conclusion did you and Sam drive to?"

The way he calls Sam's name, I can almost imagine him grimacing with disgust as it spits it out and I cannot hold in the laugh that escapes.

"Oh my God!" I exclaim between laugh. "You won't catch a virus by saying his name, you know, right?"

"I know, and I'm trying to pretend like I'm not hurt that you chose him over me, but I refuse to pretend that I don't like his face and his eyes and his hair. He just looks way too suspicious. He also looks like a sad attention seeking narcissist."

"Well, you're not wrong about him being a narcissist." I giggle lightly. "However, you have to trust me when I say that he is secretly a good person. He just doesn't like showing that side of him. Probably because he associates it with vulnerability." I shrug.

Asher hums and is quite for a while, I guess processing my thoughts. In the background, I can hear the boys talking and laughing amongst themselves. Someone shouts to Asher about spending way too much time with his girlfriend and another person is looking for a shampoo.

"So, he's just a sad and lonely person?" Asher finally speaks up and I nod in response before I remember he cannot see me.

"Exactly! However, you didn't hear it from me. My lips are sealed!" With my free hand, I make a zipping motion on my mouth.

Asher and I share a brief laugh before he calls my attention back to the actual matter at hand.

"Oh, Sam and I have come to the conclusion that our next reasonable target is Zach."

"I guess that makes sense. I was surprised to find Zach there. In fact, he was there one moment, and the next, he was gone. He was also acting weird and nervous when I saw him. Plus, in all the movies, the quiet and smart kid is usually a psychopath. Great thinking."

I beam widely, somehow feeling validated by his support.

"I have an idea though," he continues. "Someone should talk to Tiff. She's Trixie's closest friend and could possibly tell if Trix told her anything about anyone following her or something of the sort."