She Looks Like She Saw A Ghost

Chapter Fourteen: She Looks Like She Saw A Ghost

°°°

The incessant sound of the doorbell draws me out of the hold of a nightmare filled slumber and with groggy eyes, I turn to the clock on my table only to find the neon lights displaying 5:02a.m. With a loud yawn, I stretch my arms above my head as I internally grumble about having being woken up so early.

My head throbs lightly and I raise my fingers to massage my temple at a futile attempt at relief. I had spent a better half of the night watching my troubled aunt sleep and she kept mumbling to herself and sometimes, she screamed at something that wasn't there.

The pounding of the door resumes and I let out a loud groan as I kick my feet off the bed and slip them into my newly acquired slippers. I head to my curtains which I pull apart to find the darkness outside illuminated by the flashing lights of police sirens and what looks to be two officers standing on the porch.

My blood runs cold and I dash downstairs, almost tripping over my robe. I throw open the front door and force a smile at the officers.

The house is eerily quiet... Quieter than it should be. Normally, aunt Natasha is usually up by this time and shuffling around the house, making breakfast for herself and her son before she readies herself for work. Her lack of activities only tells me she still hasn't snapped out of whatever Sam did to her yesterday.

The female and male officers stare at me and I shiver slightly under their scrutinizing gaze, suddenly all too conscious of my messy hair and the short green robe that hugs my body. They both seem to be in their early thirties or late forties, with the woman looking a little older than the man.

I recognize the tall, broad, bronze-skinned man with jet black curls atop his head to be Tiffany's father, but despite his intense gaze, he has a small smile on his face that makes him look a little more approachable than the stern blonde with piercing grey eyes.

"Good morning, officers." I try to be as formal and confident as I can. I grip the door with more force than required at an attempt to steady my weak legs, but they don't seem to notice as the shorter woman looks like she's trying to search for something behind me.

"We're here for your aunt. Is she in?" The woman I don't recognize questions.

"What did she do?" I ask, my brows furrowed with curiosity.

"We have some questions for her," comes her vague response and I raise a brow as I wait for her to explain more.

Her eyes never leave mine, and they betray no emotion. She pushes her square frames further up her pointed nose, and her lips curl downwards, and I can immediately tell she doesn't like to be around children – or those she considers too immature to talk to.

Officer Romero narrows his eyes at her cold tone and she rolls her eyes, but she takes a step back, allowing him room to address me instead.

"I so did not sign up for babysitting duties," she mutters almost inaudibly under her breath.

Officer Romero takes a step towards me, crouching a little so his extremely bulky frame isn't towering over me. His dark eyes are considerably kinder than his daughter's who is known for bullying me at school, but I don't make this known to him.

"Hey, girl, could you please get her for us?" His voice is low and calm, I have to lean forward a bit to hear what he's saying to me.

Everything about Officer Romero exudes a calm confidence. He doesn't need to talk, glare or act all macho, but there's just something about him that makes him always look like he is on top of everything.