I Don't Like You, Sam

Chapter Fifty-Five: I Don't Like You, Sam

~~~

When he is out of sight, I turn towards Sam, happy to see him. I am about to throw my arms around him in an embrace but his cold stare is enough to make me stand back.

Feeling nervous under his intense stare, I draw my lower lip between my teeth as I wait for him to say something as to why he appears to be angry.

"Are you mad at me or did one of your siblings anger you?" I tentatively ask him. His glare doesn't soften, if anything, his lips curl downwards in a snare that makes me swallow hard. "Sam?"

"Just how moronic are you exactly?" He questions and I blink rapidly, hurt by his question.

"What do you –"

"I'm just trying to understand whether you are plain annoying or are just too retarded that you don't grasp simple instructions clearly because I don't see how you could have gotten hit by a vehicle if you sat your butt down like I told you to."

I watch as his eyes morph and become tongues of fire and I swallow hard, casting my gaze to the floor so as not to say anything that may aggravate him further. The last thing I want is for him to set the whole school ablaze simply because I angered him.

"Sam, I –" I start, but I am not given a chance to explain myself. He still has a lot to say.

"Because of you, I had to pick a fight with one of my siblings that I actually like and care about. Now, Az has refused to look at me, and let me tell you, Angels can keep malice for up to a century. If you thought Michael hated me before, you were wrong. He's after my head now, and I still have a whole lot of my actual duties to deal with, all because you decided to be a completely selfish moron."

By the time he is done with his speech, tears have gathered in my eyes which I wipe with the back of my palm, but he doesn't seem the least fazed by my tears. Not that I expect him to be.

I wasn't trying to be selfish. If anything, I was just trying to help. I would have covered more ground if I had continued the investigation while he dealt with his problems in Hell. Then again, I am horrible at interrogations so I may have just made everything a lot harder.

Regardless, it came from a good place. How was I supposed to foresee the accident? It's not like I walked right into a shootout.

"I'm sorry," I mutter under my breath. "I didn't mean to upset Azrael or Michael. I just wanted to help and everything blew up in my face. You're right. I should have just sat still and things wouldn't be harder. I wasn't thinking." I bite on my lower lip so hard; I start to feel pain.

"Of course! You don't seem to think a lot." His voice has a little more emotion in them so I risk a peek at him to find that his eyes are back to their usual shade of violet and his glare has dropped.

I guess that is one of my favourite things and yet the thing I fear most about Sam. His rapid mood swings.

"Have you forgiven me?" I ask him, my voice small and he offers a slight, barely noticeable shrug that I take for a yes.

"I'll try to make good with Az. He has to know that it was nothing personal. Also, I'm intrigued as to what you were looking for that you left the safety of my place."

I nervously fiddle with the hem of my shirt as I try to gather my thoughts.

"I just... I thought about talking to Tiffany. She was Trixie's best friend so maybe she saw someone following her or maybe she could offer valuable input."