Am I dying?

Chapter Sixty: Am I dying?

~~~

I think Sam is just drawn to creating chaos. He is the Devil after all.

Perhaps he is doing this to piss Michael off. Allen is going to tell Tony for sure, and Tony will tell the whole of Northview and that'll lead to everyone talking about this father of mine. If Michael refuses to make an appearance, he could be termed a failure, and I don't know how he takes to insults.

I have seen Sam angered at perceived insults and if Michael is anything like his brother, I don't think this is going to go well for his ego.

This is catastrophic!

"Wh – You mean to tell me you are Bells' uncle?" Asher seeks clarification and Sam hums as he strokes his chin.

"I never thought about it, but it appears you are right."

"But you're... I mean, you both – oh, this explains why you're always with her. Why didn't you just say so when I accused you of having feelings for her?" Asher's face is red and he has a befuddled expression. To his question, Sam shrugs.

"I'm sure you didn't hear it because your small brains are next to incapable of multitasking, but the bell went a couple of seconds ago. Time for you to head to class. Go on!"

"But I have so many questions. Mostly about her father," Allen whines, but Asher shakes his head.

"We have History quiz. Let's go. See you later, love." Asher leans over and places a kiss on my cheek before leaving with a very reluctant Allen who looks like he would rather skip his quiz.

"What was that for?" I demand when the boys are already far away and Sam smirks as he leans closer. He closes my locker behind me and grabs my hand, leading me away. "Where to?"

"The garden, of course," is his reply as he continues to pull me like a rag doll.

"I have a class, Sam," I remind him but he offers no response. Instead, he just keeps walking, not stopping until we get to the empty garden.

He lets go of me and sits himself on the bench as he stares at the flowers, a satisfied smile on his face. He's acting weird. Something is off.

"Sam? Is anything the matter?"

"Well, I'm just trying to enjoy this moment with you. I'm going to miss it." He doesn't face me as he talks, so he cannot see my puzzled expression.

"Miss it? What do you mean? Am I dying? Are you dying? Can you even die? I mean, you're immortal after all and if anything was wrong with you, Raphael could just have you all-"

"No one is dying, Angel." Sam finally turns to me. He has a big smile on his face, but for the first time, his eyes are a dead giveaway to his true emotions.

Sadness swirls his eyes like a storm, and though I don't understand why he's saying what he's saying, seeing the Devil so sad causes tears to well up in my eyes and my throat starts to hurt.

"Then what's going on? Make me understand!"

He takes in a deep breath, then he looks away from me as though he cannot afford to keep staring at me.

"Look at me, Sam!" I snap at him, not caring that he doesn't like to be shouted at. "Look at me while you tell me what in the name of Hell's oven is wrong."

He turns to me; his smile gone and is replaced with a grim expression.

"I can't keep hanging out with you," he deadpans and my jaw slackens as a tear slides down my face. "Angel, we had a deal, and the killer is found. You don't need me anymore."