It Was A Beautiful Night

Chapter Fifty-Four: It Was A Beautiful Night

~~~

By the time Monday rolls in, I have gone days without seeing Sam, Michael, Raphael or even Azrael.

My life has been completely Angel-free and absolutely, mind-numbingly mundane.

Cher drive Audrey and me to school and together, we walk into school where we find Nat resting against the locker beside Tiff's while Tiffany sorts out her books for the day.

Catching sight of us, the two girls look up and Tiff spares us a small smile. She has been warming up to the group and seems to have completely deserted her other friends. I'm quite happy for her. It's clear that Nat was right all along and she really isn't that bad.

"Hi," Tiff greets. Today, her flawless mocha skin is covered in a thigh-long beige coloured gown on fishnets which she matched with black sandals. Her brunette hair is held back as usual with a headband and the moment she greets us, she turns her attention to Nat.

Nat simply nods in our direction, acknowledging our presence.

After Cherry has given everyone a famous Cherry-embrace, she and the others start yapping about the latest episode of whatever.

I am already having a hard time keeping up with their conversation, but I completely zone out the moment my eyes land on him.

The scrawny kid with mousey brown hair and dull brown eyes. He is leaning against the wall, completely unnoticed by passers-by. Not one bothers to spare him a glance, and why should they? There's nothing remotely interesting about the kid in the carton-coloured shirt that match the dull walls of the school.

He matches the boring top with faded jeans that hangs loosely on his waist and in his hands, he clutches what seems to be a chess set. He's as brilliant as he is a chameleon and guilt washes over me that I never noticed him either.

We share literature class and mostly sit together, yet I never really spared him a glace, never noticed how he's always by himself. Perhaps he got jealous of the attention Ben and Trixie were getting? Perhaps all the popular people are in danger now simply because we failed to see who was right in front of us.

"Don't you agree, Bells?" Cherry taps me and I snap my attention back to my friends to find them staring expectantly at me for some reason.

"Err..." I scratch the back of my neck nervously as I try to come up with something to say that'll convince them that I wasn't totally ignoring everything they had been saying.

Fortunately, the shrill sound of the bell cuts through the air and I let out a breath through my mouth before smiling sheepishly at them.

"Will you look at that? I have literature right now. See you later."

I practically run to the classroom, leaving my confused friends behind. Upon getting in, I stop at the door and bend down, my palms placed on my knees as I try to catch my breath.

I soon get enough oxygen and look up, a small smile on my face when I catch Zack at his usual position. Purposefully, I stride over to him. He doesn't even blink when I take the spot beside him and place my bag on the floor. He doesn't even look my way.

"Hi Zack," I greet him and much to my surprise, he lets out a startled squeak and jumps like a frightened kitten.

With wide eyes, I watch and wait for him to regain composure and when he is done, I smile fondly at him, causing him to stare at me with raised brows.

"Why are you smiling at me as though we are friends?" He questions, his voice laden with uncertainty.

"Zack, Zack," I force a laugh as I throw an arm around his shoulder but he is quick to shrug it off and pass me a glare that tells me to back off.