Like A Vampire Angel

Chapter Thirty-Two

Interlude: Like A Vampire Angel

Sam's POV

A small sardonic smile graced his lips as he stirred the coffee, not really paying attention to it. He didn't need to eat the way the humans did, but he found it somewhat amusing to participate in their simplistic routine.

While he saw everyone who stepped into the building, he wasn't paying attention. He found the busy and colourful environment quite mundane. He heard the humans speak about things that didn't matter. He saw Guardian Angels who steered clear of him and tried to nag into the ears of their humans to do same. He didn't care either.

His thoughts were on a particular girl he just got acquainted with. He smiled as he thought about her and tried to remember the last time earth saw a human so pure, so trusting.

He also thought about her Guardian Angel. It made no sense, and he didn't like when things didn't make sense to him. Why was Michael almost obsessed with the child? There had to be something special about her.

"Ziffer," came the greeting of the overly friendly waitress who always talked to him.

The Mexican had smooth skin and a smile plastered on her round face that held more makeup than the man thought was necessary. He found it pathetic how she always batted her lids at him and drank up his features with her eyes. He hated the sound of her fake pitchy voice too, but she wasn't important enough for him to address.

"How're you doing?" She purred; her accent thick. She raised her hand to her hair, probably to twirl them around her fingers, but stopped as she recalled her hair was held up in a bun.

"I have already been served, Juana." He waved dismissively at her.

Somehow, his words caused her to giggle like a hormone driven teenager and the man rolled his eyes.

"I can see that, Ziffer." She gestured to his cup. "I just wanted to ask what you have been up to. You don't come around anymore."

"If you must know," the man started as he set the cup down, "I have been following a teenage girl around. She's meek and has some self-respect and I think you should take pointers from her."

The woman blinked in shock at the man's cold remark, but he didn't care. With a gloved hand, he pushed her out of his way and exited the building.

He stood in the parking lot for a moment as he wondered just what he was still doing in Northview. There were faster ways to find the killer, but he really didn't want to. He found himself strangely drawn to the child and actually enjoying her company.

He had initially planned on corrupting her soul; a way of flipping his Father the bird, but recently, he found himself wanting to protect her light at all cost. Wanting to protect her at all cost. There was also something about the child. Something that he just needed to know.

When he felt the air around him change, he shocked his palms into the pocket of his trousers and turned around. It was a kind of change he could recognize even though he were blindfolded. It was a kind of change that screamed power and authority. He hated it.

Michael had just landed and still had his wings spread out, so the man knew he didn't plan on staying long. The Angel of Justice stared at his brother with cold dead eyes, but the man wasn't fazed.

"Disregarding the fact that you damaged the human Natasha, you found the person who murdered her uncle and mother. That's rather generous of you. It makes me wonder why you did it."