As Flawed As your Last Science Project

Chapter Eight: As Flawed As your Last Science Project

He smirks smugly at me, violet eyes challenging me to counter his words.

With my brows pinched, I stare at him, a snarl on my face as I wonder what in the world he is talking about.

"I want no such thing," I counter, my face growing hot as my anger rises at his accusation. "Take it back!"

"Why should I? I speak nothing but the truth. You wanted Ben dead. Maybe not consciously, but a part, no matter how small wished for him to die the most painful death. You cannot be blamed for that."

"Why would I?" I snap and he shrugs.

"You tell me," he answers, taking his legs off the table so he can lean closer, placing his intertwined hands on the table.

He has a brow raised and his expression of mild amusement and curiosity is present.

"You are accusing me of wanting my cousin dead, so I believe you are to tell me why."

"I do not accuse you, dear Bells, I simply possess the ability to know what humans want, being an Angel and all. And I can say for certain that you do and have always wanted your cousin dead. Do I think you killed him? No. You lack the guts and the courage to end a life, however, a part of you is pleased that someone put an end to the monstrosity that was your cousin."

"You lie!" I shout in protest, banging my fist on the table before remembering just where it is we are. Taking in a deep breath, I calm myself, expelling the sudden wave of anger.

He seems to find my outburst comical because his lips spreads into a smile, revealing pearly white teeth and canines sharper than what I consider normal. Somehow, it only adds to his appeal. He leans his elbows on the table and rests his chin in his hands as he stares at me.

"You're a devout Christian Bells, yet here you are, striking a deal with me; the Devil. Nothing was stopping you from going to the police and telling them of your doubts. Granted, they wouldn't believe you, but you could've tried. Instead, you decided to ask me. Want to know what I think?" He asks, a brow raised.

"I have a feeling you're going to tell me," is my snappy response.

"I think you aren't remotely sorry that your cousin is dead. After the initial shock passed, you came to the realization that you don't feel anything. In fact, a part of you is elated as your life is less miserable now. However, your faith and beliefs are making you guilty, so in order to ease the guilt, you have burdened himself with the task of finding the killer.

"Make no mistake, dear Bells. I am in no way judging you for this. As I have stated, you have every right to feel as such. I find it a waste of my time though. While you could have asked for power or more wealth that you know what to do with, you want me to track down a human who did what everyone in this town wanted him to do."

His words hit deep and I am left dumbfounded, lips parting and shutting again as I struggle to process and voice my thoughts.

"I can prove this to you if you wish. I can trap you inside your own thoughts so you may see what your subconscious desperately wants, though I need not as you already know. You seek to be loved, happy and win the affection of a boy named Asher Reid."

I open my mouth for a moment, nothing comes out except for a squeaking sound, so I take in a deep breath, trying to regain composure, refusing to let myself be manipulated by the Devil.

"I thought you don't read minds."

"Indeed I don't. I am however good at reading humans. I have been around you all since the beginning of time and you are as predictable as you are boring. However, you, Bells, seem to amuse me. There is just something about you that I cannot quite put my finger on, but I will, and until then, sure, I'll help you."