You Sent A Demon To Fetch Me

Chapter Thirty-Nine: You Sent A Demon To Fetch Me

~~~

I am pulled out of the clutches of sleep rather forcefully, and though by an unknown force.

My head swirls as it tries to grasp on to the fleeting memory of my dream, but it already exists in broken fragments that are quickly fading away. Raphael's smiling face comes to mind, but before I can hold on to that trail of thought, it is long gone.

Stifling a yawn, I notice the goose bumps on my skin and how my whole body is tense as though my subconscious is anticipating something sinister. My heart starts slamming in my ribcage and my breath hitches in my throat as I look around, but it is too dark for me to see anything out of the ordinary.

However, I am certain something is deeply amiss.

With quivering fingers, I reach over to the side table and turn on the bed lamp, slightly illuminating the room. I look around the room in search of the oddity and a loud gasp escapes my lips when I see it.

I am frozen to the spot, my breath hanging in my throat and my heart beating even faster that I am sure it can be heard from miles away. Every instinct of mine is telling me to run as far from the strange creature as I can, but I find that I cannot control my limbs.

My lips tremble uncontrollably as the creature moves from its position where it was leaning against the window and it stalks towards me, its body bending at very awkward angles, as though all the bones in its body was broken, then left to heal in the wrong position.

My eyes swirl the closer the creature comes to me and it feels like it is draining every colour from the room, plunging it into a deep state of melancholy. It steps into the light and becomes more than a silhouetted figure and if I could control my body, I'd scream.

Its skin is wrinkled and sporting very terribly burn marks and scars litter every exposed inch of it. Its eyes are so bloodshot, they seem to want to pop right out of their sockets and beneath the weariness is pure, unfiltered evil.

It stops right before me and bends very awkwardly, its neck barely able to hold its head and it stares at me with those dead black holes that are filled with deep malice.

"Lord Lucifer demands I present you to him unharmed," it addresses me and I wince at the voice. It is the most unpleasant sound I have ever heard; like nails on a chalkboard or gravel in a blender.

My tongue suddenly loosens and a wave of relief washes over me as my brain registers that I am not in imminent danger.

"Present? What am I? An object?" I scoff at the creature. "Why don't you crawl back to whatever Hell you came from and leave me be? Better still, you should really stop for some donuts and cake. It may brighten up your mood because you are worse than a dementor."

"I do not answer to you." The horrifying voice returns and I resist the urge to slap my palms over my ears to protect them from such assault.

My lips part to dismiss the creature, but it leans closer to me and before I can react, freezing cold fingers wrap around my arm and the world disappears from below my feet and I am falling.

My stomach drops and my eardrums ring loudly. I snap my eyes shut and brace for whatever is coming, but the feeling fades almost immediately so I risk a glance.

Peeking my eyes open, my head spins and I feel my leg buckle beneath me, but cool hands wrap around me before I can fall. I take a moment to catch my breath, and when I do, I focus on my surroundings only to have the air knocked out of my lungs again, but for a very different purpose.