It's Not A Pretty Sight

Chapter Eighteen: It’s Not A Pretty Sight

°°°

The class is more enjoyable than expected. Sure, biology is my favourite class, but there is something about the air between Asher and me that makes it a lot easier to breathe in.

Occasionally, Tony leans in and points out grammatical errors made by our foreign teacher and in response, Allen will groan and roll his eyes, earning chuckles from Asher and me.

Despite the happiness in the air, I cannot shake off the feeling that something is deeply amiss, and it is only when I turn around that I notice it is because of Trixie who has taken to staring at me with a deep scowl on her face, completely disregarding her partner who is doing all the work.

Typical!

“All done!” Asher hands me the petri dish and I grin at him. “And we’re the first ones.” He claps silently, a huge smile on his face that reveals indents on both his cheeks.

Astonishing!

“I don’t understand what just happened,” I hear Tony murmur to Allen who groans at him yet again.

“You would if you paid close attention rather than make fun of our teacher,” Allen’s deep British accent rings out. “Just – just stare into space or something while I handle this.”

The rest of the class goes smoothly and I am more than happy when the final bell is heard, because not only does it mean that the class is over, it also means I can head over to Lina’s and be surrounded by love and pastries… And Asher!

With a contented sigh, I start packing all my books into my backpack when Tony leans forward so his head is directly behind my ear.

“Yo, so I heard what happened with your aunt… We all did. I mean, it’s Northview. Nothing stays secret here… Anywho, what’s it like?”

Asher sends Tony a warning stare which Tony totally disregards. I turn so I can properly face him and he leans back, seeing as there’s no need for him to lean uncomfortably forward again.

“What’s what like, Tony?” I raise a brow at him and he shrugs.

“I don’t know… Being rich? Finding out you’ve been living with the person that killed you…” He suddenly trails off with a dramatic gasp as he covers his mouth with both his palms. “Do you think that’s why Ben killed himself?”

“I don’t see how that adds up.” Asher decides to join in the conversation. He stands and turns around to he’s leaning his back against the table and facing Allen and Tony.

“It makes total sense, just think about it. Perhaps he found out that she killed his dad, so he got all depressed. You know depression can get bad, so maybe he couldn’t take it and just killed himself.” Tony nods, looking proud of himself as though he just solved a murder mystery.

Allen drops his phone and looks up at Tony with piercing grey eyes narrowed in disbelief and I take a moment to eye the guy and his neatly cut brown hair that makes him look nerdy. Allen seldom talks to anyone. He has always been the quiet one in the clique; always neatly dressed.

Today, he’s sporting a Hawaiian patterned top with a white muffler around his neck and his white hat is atop his bag.

“Actually, I don’t see the sense in that. If Ben found out something like that, he would make it known. Ben keeps nothing to himself. I’m still finding it hard to believe he actually killed himself. It’s just unlikely.” Allen shakes his head and lifts his gaze to the sky as though he is considering something, but he shrugs and decides to let whatever it is go.