Interesting Turn Of Events

Chapter Fifty-Eight: Interesting Turn Of Events

~~~

The earth spins and I have to grab the edge of the table to keep myself from falling. My eyes sting as tears well up in them, but I blink them back, refusing to believe what is right before my eyes.

"Drey is afraid of her own shadow. She's not capable of –"

"I have to go." I bolt up, but look down at the table.

"Don't worry. It's on the house." Tony waves off my concern. "But where are you going to? I don't think you should be walking alone right now."

His voice is heavy with concern and I am grateful for that, however, I have gotten what I needed from him and he cannot help me further. Unfortunately, I don't even know how to reach the one person that can help me at the moment.

"Please, do me a favour and don't tell this to anyone. Not even to Allen or Ash. This stays between us. Promise me this."

Anthony stares reluctantly at me, then at the phone.

"Please!" Urgency is obvious in my tone and hesitantly, he nods, but I refuse to buy that. "Say the words."

"I promise. I won't post, I won't spread the word, not even to my boyfriend who I promised to keep no secrets from. You have my word, Bells."

After offering him a tight-lipped smile, I bolt out of the small restaurant and onto the street.

"Michael, I have a feeling you're around me right now, and I don't really care what you have to say, but I need Sam with me and I need him now," I mutter underneath my breath, but get nothing in response.

What was I expecting though? That my father and Guardian Angel would materialize before me and lead me to the Devil? Wishful thinking!

In silence, I walk towards Sam's house. I don't know why I am going there when I know he could literally be in any part of the world right now, or even in Hell, but something just feels right about going to his place.

I shove my trembling palms into my pockets to hide them from the people who walk past me and I draw my quivering lower lip between my teeth.

Now is not the time to have an emotional breakdown.

There has to be a logical explanation to this. There is no way Audrey is capable of hurting people. As Tony said, the girl is literally afraid of her own shadow. She just seems like the last person to physically cause harm to another.

Yet, I saw the video with my own eyes. She was out there and she seemed to be on her way to put the gift in my locker.

I soon find myself standing in front of the huge white house; the biggest in the town. Taking in a deep breath, I walk towards the white door and grab the silver knocker in my hand before hitting it against the door.

When I am met with silence, I knock again and with a heavy sigh, I let go of the knocker which hangs out of the mouth of a silver serpent's head. I am about to turn and walk away when much to my surprise, I hear movement on the other side and the door knob turns.

Violet eyes peer into mine when the door swings open and without thinking about it, I reach out to him and throw my arms around him in a hug, desperately seeking ease.

He doesn't move. He just stands, stiff as a board, but despite loathing physical contact, he doesn't push me away. Like water through a broken dam, tears fall down my face as my resolve breaks and I hear Sam release a heavy sigh.