Have I Been Completely Erased From The Scripture

Chapter Twelve: Have I Been Completely Erased From The Sripture?

°°°

Sam heads over to the garage, not stopping once to glance at me. I stand rooted to the spot, my head trying to wrap around everything he just narrated to me.

He had to be lying! I knew my aunt wasn't the best of persons, but I never for once imagined she would want her own son dead. She's devastated he's gone!

Still, despite being the Devil, I can't help but believe his words. He has no reason to lie to me and I don't think he stands to gain anything from creating animosity between my aunt and me.

"Well are you just going to stand there gaping at me? My time is of the essence, chop-chop!"

I blink rapidly when he snaps his fingers at me. He is standing beside his open door and is staring at me with a raised brow.

Tentatively, I walk towards the white Mercedes-Benz and help myself into the front seat where I am engulfed by the scent of newly polished leather.
He also gets into the vehicle and I gasp when the engine comes to life and he moves the beauty forward with confidence, as though he has driven a million times.

"How do you have all these luxuries?" I finally ask as curiosity gnaws at me, pleading to be filled with knowledge.
Sam glances at me, his brows raised in what seems to be curiosity. He shakes his head as he spares me a chuckle, just before he returns his eyes to the road.

"My! You're a Christian, yet you know so profoundly little about the Devil. Have I been completely erased from the scripture?" He shakes his head just as I quirk my brows up to show my confusion.

I let out a sigh as I relax into the seat, and just when I am certain I am not going to receive a proper explanation from Sam, he surprises me.

"I am the master of wealth and luxuries. The house and the car though? I called in a favour with the Mayor."

"The Mayor owes you one?" I question in bewilderment.

Sam seems to find my surprise amusing, because he chuckles and shakes his head as though I am merely a naïve child, slow to understanding the workings of the universe.

I watch him laugh, a small frown forming at my lips as I realize just how unfair he is being to me.
He is an Angel who has been around for centuries, and I am just a human who cannot being to match with his intellect, yet he seems to expect me to always be on the same plane as he is.
He sobers up and brushes the locks of golden hair that fell over his face; his eyes still set on the long, dark, empty road.

"Yes, Bells. The Mayor indeed owes me one. How else do you think he is where he is today? Because he had the necessary qualifications? That's laughable." He chuckles lightly; a sound that is quite pleasing to the ears. "I gave him a wise advisor who does virtually all the work, leaving him to take the credit."

"That's just..." I trail off as I find I have no words.

I am not naïve enough to think I'm the only one in the town striking a deal with the Devil. I just never imagined our just, Christian and family-oriented Mayor didn't merit his position.

It makes me wonder just how many leaders deserve their positions. Or is Sam the reason behind almost everything? Perhaps he is; standing in the background and pulling strings like a grand puppeteer.