You're Just Another Insignificant Human

Chapter Thirty-Six: You're Just Another Insignificant Human

°°°

We step into the surprisingly lit corridor to find it completely empty and engulfed in silence and I shake my head as I notice they left us all alone in that rat-infested storage room.

Goddamn sociopaths!

Audrey pushes past me and inhales the open air deeply as she tries to catch a hold of her breathing and I spare her a small smile which she doesn't even notice.

"Is everyone okay?" I look around at my friends. Audrey is still panting, but she spares me a shaky thumbs-up. Cherry nods, but I notice her glare in Sam's direction. I turn to Nat however and find she isn't behind me.

"Where's –" I start, but Cherry points down the corridor and I am not surprised to find that Nat has angrily stormed off. She kicks open doors that lines the corridor, only to bang them shut when she doesn't find a bunch of sadistic teenagers inside.

For a moment, I want to step back and watch the event play out. The girls sure deserve whatever they have coming towards them. They were after all the ones who thought it wise to lock us in a rat-infested room for no cause. It makes no sense how they derive pleasure in hurting others.

"As amusing as it is to watch your friend go berserk, I'll advice one of you follow after her lest she hurts someone or herself," Sam states, an amused smile on his face as he watches Nat's figure disappear out of sight.

I release a deep sigh of exhaustion before jogging to catch after my friend with hopes of calming her down, though I know the chances of that happening is next to impossible. What am I even to say to placate Nat? Worst case scenario, I get hit by her in a fit of blind anger.

Great!

"Nat!" I call out, following the stench of fury and the sound of slamming doors in order to find my hot-headed friend.

The house is devoid of any other sound, and I realize her stomping will prove no results as we are truly the only ones in the house. I don't plan on getting arrested for trespassing or wrecking of private property or something.

Sure, Nat has every right to be angered. By Hell, I should be equally angered, but I find myself feeling utterly exhausted instead. I want nothing more than to crawl into bed and slither into a dreamless sleep for about three days without interruption.

"Nat!" I call out again, running up the stairs. I find Nat in the first room to my left, her fist aiming for the vanity mirror on the other side of the room and my eyes widen as I take in the situation, realizing she will end up hurting herself more than the inanimate object.

"Stop!" I scream at her as I dash across the room at and catch her hand just which is mere centimetres from the smooth surface of the glass.

She turns her glare away from the mirror and unto me, her chest rising and falling rapidly as she takes in deep breaths of air. If looks could kill, I know I would be six feet under and decomposing already. Regardless, I refuse to let go of her, not until the destructive rage in her eyes dim down to the normal amount of vexation she usually holds.

"I will hurt Trixie so bad, and trust me, you will not be able to stop me. God knows I will murder those goddamn girls if I have to. And Heavens help Nico and Brit because the moment I lay my hands on them, they'll plead for death, but it won't come."

I widen my eyes at Nat's declaration and the sincerity in her eyes. She clenches her teeth so hard; I fear for her jaw.

"I thought you were of the opinion that Tiff isn't a bad person, just terribly misguided," I remind her and for a fraction of a second, her expression softens and I see a glimmer of hurt in her eyes, but it disappears just as quickly as it appeared.