You Really Have to Stop Dropping Cakes When You See Me

Chapter Ten: You Really Have to Stop Dropping Cakes When You See Me

•••

Despite how hard I try, my mind just isn’t completely focused on academics today, and I am more than relieved when the sound of the bell is heard, signifying the end of school hours.

I pick my bag and rush out of the class, not even bothering to bid goodbye to the teacher. While I know it was rather rude of me, I just don’t have the mental energy to exchange pleasantries or force a smile unto my face right now.

I am rushing towards my locker while trying to stuff all my books into my bag. I am so fixated on the task, I don’t notice the person in front of me until I run into him, letting go of my grip on my books as I stumble backwards, thankfully not falling and making a complete mockery of myself.

Out of habit, I move to adjust my glasses, only to remember I am not wearing it anymore. Inhaling deeply, I look up to find Alex's glare directed at me and I gulp, waiting for the vocal abuse and maybe shove that’ll accompany his anger.

Alex was one of Ben’s close friends, a member of the basketball team and someone who has also actively participated in making my life a living hell.

The tall and buff boy with shaggy blond hair takes a step towards me, a glower on his face that makes me feel a lot smaller than I already am.

“Before you beat me up and break every bone in my body, let me just tell you that I am –”

“Shut up!” He snaps, taking another step towards me, his already dark eyes darkening even more with anger.

Before he can inflict pain on me however, he is suddenly help back and I release the breath I didn’t even realize I was holding, looking up to behold my saviour.

My insides feel all fluttery at the sight of Asher Reid with his ginger hair and beautiful amber eyes and perfect freckles under his eyes, but upon remembering Trixie’s threat, I quickly pick up my books and hurry away, keeping my face low.

“Bells!” I hear him call as he follows after me, but I walk faster, eager to leave the school. Unfortunately, I am stopped by Cherry who is waiting for me by my locker.

“Hi, Bells. I was just – oh lookie! Ash is calling for your attention. Hey, Ash.” She waves at the guy and I internally groan, wondering why life just cannot go my way for once.

When he has caught up to us, Cherry steps forward and wraps her arms around him in a typical Cherry embrace and he smiles, though his gaze is fixed on me.

“How’re you doing, Cher?” He asks, not taking his eyes off me and she excitedly answers him, happy as always. She however trails off when she realizes he isn’t paying her any attention.

She takes a step backwards and stares between us before shaking her head.

“I’ll be waiting in my car. Bells, when you’re done, you can come with me, let me drive you to Lina’s. Ash, you going?”

“Oh no. I have basketball practice today. With Ben gone, I have to assume his position,” he says and Cherry nods before skipping out of the school.

When she is gone, I turn my attention to my locker, totally ignoring Asher as I search for my maths textbook which I know I’ll be needed for an assignment.

“Are you avoiding me, Bells?” Asher asks, leaning against the locker beside mine and I bury my face in mine, trying to hide the blush that creeps unto my cheeks at the way my name just rolled off his tongue.

‘You are doing this for the only people who have ever treated you like you are actually someone’ I tell myself as I suck in a deep breath, pulling out my textbook and the letter from my secret admirer before banging the door of the locker.