Like A Tiger On An Antelope

Chapter Fifteen: Like A Tiger On An Antelope

°°°

The moment I step in through the doors of the school, I am all too aware of the stares and the not so hushed whispers that are thrown my way by peers who aren't brave enough to walk up to me and tell me what the matter is.

Unbothered, I shrug and make my way to my locker, feeling good in my knee length brown cotton gown with black net forming the neck and parts of the sleeves.

I am only surprised when people trail behind me. I stop and turn around and everyone also stops. I let out a short hum as I hastily resume my voyage to where I meet Cherry and the other girls leaning against my locker.

Upon seeing me, Cherry squeals and runs over to me, throwing her arms around me in a bear hug.

I smile at her when she pulls away and wave at the other girls. Audrey smiles and waves back while Nat simply nods in acknowledgement.

"We need to talk girls," I inform them as I reach into my pocket and feel the letter within it.

"Indeed, we do." Cherry nods. "I heard the news, and I want you to know that I am super sorry, not because your aunt was arrested. She deserves that. I just have a feeling all the terrible wounds were reopened and I wish I could take all of your pain away. Anyway, it's for the best and the wicked witch of the West is behind bars so you can now –"

"You're rambling again, Cherry," Audrey calls to her and Cherry giggles as she covers her mouth.

"I am, aren't I?"

"It's okay," I assure her and she grins at me. Her grin is infectious, I cannot help but mirror it. I inspect her and note she manages to look effortlessly beautiful in her pink floral gown that sways around her as she moves. Her long curls are held up by a pink hairband, making her pretty face even more visible.

"So, how are you holding up?" Audrey spares me a tight-lipped smile and I shrug in response.

"What can I say?" I regard the girl dressed in a white crop top on a high-waist jean trousers and brown heeled sandals. "I'm glad justice has been served, but I have to admit I feel a little... I don't know. As weird as it sounds, the house seemed a whole lot emptier this morning... And lonelier."

"You're right. It sounds totally weird. I think you should be happy; throw a party or something." Nat sounds somewhat disinterested as she examines her black coated nails.

"What of your uncle? Is it coincidental that he has the same last name as Sam?" Audrey raises a brow while she taps her chin in thought.

"Yeah! I thought about that too when my momma told me. Are you related to Sam? That would explain why you're the only person he seems to be comfortable with," Cherry adds.

"You can put in a word for me. He's absolutely dreamy." Audrey winks and I sigh, not knowing the explanation to give them to convince them it is all purely coincidental.

My mind goes to what I know about Sam. Everything he does seems to be for his own selfish interest. It's why he doesn't do things for people except he knows he is getting something in return. It only makes me a little more confused because he just helped me get justice for my mother and aunt, then made sure I didn't end up in an orphanage.

It just makes no sense whatsoever! Why would Sam go out of his way to be nice to me?

"Girls, please I need to talk to you about something important."

Cherry frowns when she hears the urgency in my voice and Audrey leans forward, all goofiness gone from her face, whereas Nat is as expressionless as usual. She doesn't even seem to be paying attention as she stares at something on the screen of her phone.