Leave Me The Hell Alone

Chapter Forty-Two: Leave Me The Hell Alone

~~~

With a deep sigh of frustration, I watch my friends leave me and I realize that if I am going to keep hanging out with the Devil, I will end up with zero friends. The guy just doesn't understand how emotions work.

"Your friends really have zero chill," Sam speaks up and I turn an incredulous stare to him.

He stands, his gloved palms in the pockets of his white jacket. As usual, he stands face, his face lacking an expression as he stares into the distance.

Feeling my stare, he turns his violet eyes to me and his lips stretch into a lazy smile which I am in no mood to reciprocate.

"Perhaps it's because people don't generally enjoy being accused of murder," I snap at him and he shrugs in response, as though my words make no sense to him.

"Well, if they are as innocent as they claim, when then are they upset?"

I stare incredulously at the Devil who claims to know the workings of the human mind. He cannot be so much of a simpleton that he doesn't understand why they are upset.

"You know what, Sam? Just leave me the Hell alone right now. Somehow, you've managed to make everything even worse for me. The guy I have feelings for won't talk to me, and now my friends hate me. You're a horrible company and an even worse friend."

My chest rises and fall heavily as I shout at him. I notice a handful of nosy students lurk around, taking in the drama, but I am in no mood to pay any heed to them.

Sam watches me, an undecipherable expression in those violet eyes. His lips are drawn into a straight line and he watches me as though I am somewhat of a specimen and it only adds to my anger.

What exactly is his problem? Would it kill him to show a little bit of emotions? Would he kill him to anything but a selfish asshole?

"Your relationship with Asher is ruined because you have refused to pick up your phone since the encounter and ask him how he's feeling. I cannot be blamed for your incompetence. I don't have any responsibility whatsoever to be nice to your friends, that is your job."

My lips part in shock at his ability to slither away from any form of blame.

"Perhaps the problem is the fact that you are a selfish friend who never takes her time to ask her friends how they are doing. The girls you call friends, do you even know anything about them? I bet you don't, and that's because you don't ask them questions about themselves. All you do is to talk about you."

The worst thing is the fact that he never raises his voice, still his words stab at me like sharpened weapons, causing hurt and discomfort.

Am I really a horrible friend? Have I really failed to listen to the needs of the people that are always super nice to me? Do I manage to make everything about myself?

No! He's trying to get into my head. He's trying to manipulate me!

"Enjoy the rest of your day, Bells... Or don't. That's your problem." Sam turns on his heels and I watch silently as he walks away, leaving me completely alone.

It shouldn't be a problem being by myself. Just before Ben died, I was always alone. Yet, for some reason, I find the loneliness suffocating.

I look around the room and find a couple of people staring at me, but none of them can be considered friends and none of them make any move to talk to me.

I'm all alone!

~~*~~

"Anabelle! Anabelle, wait up!"