Wontons Sound Great

Chapter Fifty-Seven: Wontons Sound Great

~~~

On Wednesday afternoon, I find myself with Raphael who was nice enough to pop in and check up on me. Together, we stroll in the direction of Cherry's home.

Raphael is unseen to the crowd, and that is a good thing as he is sure to draw attention in his flowing garment that is so not from this century and his long hair that seems to fly behind him even without the aid of the wind.

I follow beside him, palms tucked in the pockets of my grey pants, my thoughts racing. I haven't had time to talk with Tony alone and Sam hasn't showed up. Somehow, despite all the work piling up on my schedule, I find that my days have been somewhat bleak without Sam's presence.

There's just something about the Devil that is so comforting and now, he's gone.

On the plus side, my stalker is yet to make an appearance. It's just as though whoever he is, he has decided to lay low and while I should find comfort in this, the mere thought of it sends my heart racing.

It feels like the calm before a huge storm.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Raphael speaks up and I look up at him to find him staring down at me.

Suddenly, without even taking his eyes off of me, Raphael reaches over and pulls me closer to him and in confusion, I stare around, only to notice he just saved me from walking face-first into a pole.

I am about to ask him how he did that, considering he wasn't even paying attention to the road either, but I shake my head as I recall he's an Angel.

"Uhm... Thanks," I manage and he lets go of me and returns his attention to the road. "I'm just scared and have a lot on my mind. I wish Sam was here."

"Well, I'm not Lu, but I am just as smart and comforting." Raphael looks down at me and spares me the biggest and brightest disarming grin and I cannot help but chuckle in response.

"I just..." I blow out deeply through my mouth in order to gather my nerves. "Why isn't my stalker doing anything? Was my almost death enough to make him back down? How is aunt Natasha doing? I know this is really random but I just started thinking about her this morning. What is going to be her fate? And am I barely going to see Sam anymore? That sounds rather unfair. Michael is being a big and annoying baby right now. My grades are slipping. I got a B plus and I'm supposed to be a straight A student. I'm going to fail, then I'm going to live under the bridge somewhere in –"

"Breathe!" Raphael suddenly interrupts me; his tone commanding and I obey him as I realize I have started to become a little out of breath.

"You have a lot on your plate, but you're strong. You can handle it. Angels have a whole lot more work to carry out and we do without breaking down, and you're half-Angel so I know you have strength in you. I believe in you. Also, I think what Michael and Lu need is a mediator. They have been at war for centuries, it's exhausting. They clearly miss each other but are too stubborn to adm – don't look at me like that!" Raphael suddenly pouts at someone above me. Someone I cannot see.

Of course! Michael is here and he won't even talk to me. Does he think he can avoid a conversation with me forever?

"Ignore him. They need a mediator and you're the only one I know of who can – hey! Maybe that was God's intention all along. I mean, why else would he call off your Guardian Angel knowing the Devil was lurking in the corner? I can't get through to Lu, but he has a soft spot for you."

I hum and roll my tongue in my mouth as I try to digest the new information. Was this God's plan for me all along? Was everything planned out? Did people really have to die just because God wanted the Angels to reconcile? I don't think so. In fact, since hanging with Sam, I have since started to doubt whether or not God is really getting involved in our lives.