I'm Going To Kill Her

Chapter Twenty-Three: I’m Going To Kill Her

°°°

I toss and turn, seeking sleep, but it has deserted me. Despite Sam’s reassurance that I have not been cursed, I cannot help but think about all the tragedies that have happened around me and the fact that I am supposed to have died a long time ago, but for some reason, I was saved.

What’s so special about me? I’m just a girl who’s ordinary in every way. Why was I allowed to live while my mother and my uncle were not? Do I have a purpose here on earth?

I pull down the duvet and sit up on the bed when I realize sleep is far from me. I reach out for my phone which is on the table beside the bed and squint when the glare of light attacks me. My eyes soon adjust and I find that it is a little past 1a.m. With a sigh, I dial Asher’s number.

He answers at the second dial.

“Bells.” His voice is huskier than usual, and my insides squirm as I find it even much more attractive.

“I’m sorry,” I internally curse my squeaky voice. “Did I wake you up?”

“No?” He answers, but it sounds more like a question and I know he’s lying to make me feel better. “I’ve been so worried about you. Audrey told me you’re at Cherry’s, but her number’s not going through. How are you doing?”

“I’m holding up. Cherry and her parents are wonderful. They’re helping.” I manage a smile even though he cannot see me. “I’m sorry for not calling regarding our date. It was –”

“Are you seriously apologizing right now? Bells! It’s okay. I totally understand. I’d be the biggest jerk of the century if I got mad. I’m just deeply concerned right now. You’ve been going through a heck lot lately, and I want to be here for you.”

A wide grin appears on my face as I idly toy with a lock of my hair. Asher Reid cares about me. Somehow, despite all the pain and everything going on, that fact is enough to keep me smiling.

~~*~~

I stroll into school with Cherry talking animatedly about something, but I find myself unable to pay attention to her as I become all too aware of all the eyes that are on us. with furrowed brows, I stare down at my outfit to make sure I don’t look ridiculous, but I find that my flannel top on jeans and brown wedges look absolutely normal.

I turn to Cherry and she looks amazing as usual with her pink top tucked into her high waist jeans. Deciding that the rude stares has nothing to do with our outfits, I shrug and continue my way to my locker, all too aware of some people stalking after us.

Cherry looks oblivious to the crowd. There’s a spring in her steps that causes her brown hair to sway around her face. She catches me staring and provides a huge smile that makes me envious of how she manages to be so happy every time.

“Why are you staring at me like I have something in my teeth? Oh my God! I do have something in my teeth?” She grimaces in horror and I manage a light hearted chuckle as we approach my locker.

“No! People are staring at us and it’s freaking me out. Why are you not freaked out?”

“Babe! I’m the captain of the swim-team. I get a lot of stares, so I’ve become indifferent about it.” She shrugs as she pulls out a water bottle from her hand bag and uncaps it. “Just ignore em. They probably have non’ better to do.” She takes a swing of the water as I nod.

She’s right! Of course, she’s right.

I turn to my locker and punch in the combination and it makes a soft clicking sound I am positive I have never heard my locker make before. Before I can get a word out, the locker springs open and red paint sprays all over my perfectly beautiful and somewhat expensive dress, totally ruining it. I step backwards a little too late and watch in horror as the sticky and strong-smelling substance splatters all over me.