Don't Be A Fool

Chapter Fifty: Don't Be A Fool

Third Person POV

He's not Lucifer anymore. He is now Sam. The person who made a promise to the girl's father. The person who gave his word that he would let no harm come to the girl. He wonders as he flies how she could have even died in his place. It is the safest place she could be in... Unless...

"Goddammit!" He mutters under his breath as he sets his feet atop solid ground, tucking his wings safely behind him. He silently blames himself for her death. He should have been there. He knows she's too stubborn for her own good. Why then did he think she would stay put simply because he asked her to?

Mostly likely, she wandered off to find her new boyfriend, or probably to divulge their findings to her friends and she encountered the killer in the process.

Though he knows that death wouldn't be a bad thing for her as she would be with her parents, under the guardianship of his Father, he didn't want her to go where he didn't have free access to. Yes, it is rather selfish of him, but when did the Devil start caring about being selfless?

He finds his brother in no time, disguised as a woman he doesn't recognize but can immediately tell it is the girl's mother and the child runs to Azrael, a huge smile on her face as she wraps her arms around the Angel of Death.

"Unhand the child at once!" He commands, his voice lacking its usual teasing undertone and coming out as cold and authoritative.

Bells turns to him in shock, then she turns to the person she believed to be her mother, only in place of the warm, small woman stands a tall brooding man who is well built and seems to blend into the darkness of the environment.

Bells watches in surprise as the man glides over to Sam – glides because his movement is so fluid, she swears he has no feet.

"Don't be a fool, brother. We both know I cannot do as asked." Azrael's voice is thick, heavy but light and velvety at the same time and it seems to materialize from the surrounding rather than from the being.

"Sam?" Bells calls out to the familiar Angel, seeking answers. "What's happening?"

"Well, you said you wanted to meet with Azrael. Az, meet Bells. Bells, Az." Though Sam is smiling, Bells can tell he is anything but cheerful. In fact, his grin only makes him look more menacing as his canines glisten in the dark and his cold eyes stand out.

"Thanks for the introduction. However, I must now take her to Heaven."

"Wait! I'm dead? I should have known something was wrong the moment I saw my dead mother. Of course, I'm dead. Of course!" The girl spits out bitterly as she paces, not knowing what to do nor how to feel.

"I can't let you take her, Az," Sam continues to address his brother, ignoring the girl's banter.

"Humans die by the second, Lucifer, and last I heard, Raguel caused you a lot more work so there really is no time for this right now."

"Then make time!" Sam demands. He doesn't want to fight Azrael, but he knows he would if he has to. He just can't let her die.

"I have to –"

"You heard him! Make time!"

They are startled by the new voice and Bells watches as Azrael groans at the new comers. She turns around to find Raphael landing beside an Angel she has never seen in her life and she marvels at the sight. Before Raphael can tuck his wings back in, she notices the most beautiful pair of wings she has ever seen in her life, albeit for a split second.