How Hypocritical Of You

Chapter Forty-Four: How Hypocritical Of You

~~~

I wake up in the morning to the chiming of my phone on my bed stand. Sitting up, I stretch out my body as I let out a yawn before I reach over and grab the device, only to see Cherry's name on the caller ID.

Confused as to why she is calling me as early as 5am, I answer the call and press the phone against my ear. Before I can get in any morning greetings, she is screaming in my ear.

"Are you serious? You didn't come back yesterday! Oh, you think because I am utterly pissed at you that I don't care about your safety? Is that how little you think of me? I am beyond angered right now! Mom almost chewed off my head yesterday. You can't just go AWOL on your friends! Jesus, Bells! Do you have any idea –"

"You're right," I cut her off. "I don't know what I was thinking."

But I do know what I was thinking. I thought she hated me and wanted nothing to do with me. Also, I figured it would be super awkward if I had dropped by at her house and I wanted to avoid that.

However, I have to admit she's right. My thought process is very illogical and I only made her moms worried. I didn't even have the courtesy to drop by and thank them for being hospitable to me.

Gods! You always have a way of screwing things up, don't you, Bells?

"That's because you were not thinking! You're the dumbest smart person I've ever met, you know that?" She takes in a deep breath to steady herself and when she speaks up again, her voice is a lot calmer. "I'm guessing you went back home. Why didn't you tell me? I'll love to meet your mystery uncle who no one seems to know who he is. Don't I deserve that? Aren't we best friends anymore?"

Though I cannot see her, I can almost vividly picture the pout on her face as she stares with doe eyes.

"I don't know. I don't know anything. I angered you girls and it's only natural if you want nothing to do with me," I provide a response, my voice small as I let out a barely audible sigh.

Cherry doesn't say anything for a while, but I hear her steady breathing so I know she's still on the line. She inhales deeply and after a moment, she answers me.

"You know, I'm starting to blame myself for everything. You haven't had friends in a long time. Your social skills are as blunt as Trixie's braincells were," she notes and I cannot stop myself from laughing.

"You're not supposed to speak ill of the dead," I remind her and she lets out a small squeal of nonchalance and I can practically see her shrugging indifferently.

"I'm not speaking ill of her. I am simply speaking the truth. Anyway, I still think you're crappy for accusing Nat of murder. You hurt her feelings and you terrified Audrey badly. I am also disappointed that you didn't tell me you made it into the drama club. You better prepare your apology script, young lady, and it best be a good one!"

The line goes dead immediately and I exhale deeply as I just stare at the screen of the phone, waiting for something, but not knowing what that thing is.

When nothing happens, I set my phone down and swing my feet off the bed as there's just no use trying to sleep anymore.

I glance around the room and my eyes stop on the ash hoodie resting on my study table. A huge smile graces my lips as I think about the occurrences of yesterday and involuntarily, a loud squeal escapes my lips.

"Never make that sound again. It is completely horrendous and an abuse of your voice box."

I jump in fright at the voice, my heart almost leaping right out of my chest. I turn around to the door and let out a heavy sigh when I find Sam leaning against it, both palms in the pocket of his white trousers as he stares at me, golden hair flopped against his fair forehead.