The Cat Died A Noble Death

Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Cat Died A Noble Death

°°°

Sam's eyes harden, all traces of friendliness and comfort erased in the blink of an eye, and while I should back down and talk about something else, something tells me he won't hurt me no matter how hard I push him. My Guardian Angel doesn't want me hurt after all.

"Why do you wish to burden yourself with such knowledge?" There's no emotion in his words. No amusement, no anger, nothing. Just emptiness.

"I'm simply curious," is my response.

"What have I told you about curiosity?" He doesn't look at me as he speaks. He just keeps staring into oblivion.

"You said I shouldn't be a cat," I recall as I roll my eyes. "But I think if curiosity killed the cat, the cat died a noble death." I grin in pride at my words, but Sam isn't impressed.

I nibble on my lower lip as I watch him stare straight ahead. He makes no move to answer my question and the silence becomes too heavy for me. I puff in air which I blow out through my mouth, but he still makes no comment.

"You want to know what I think?" I ask and he rolls his beautiful violet eyes.

"I really, really don't want to know," he states.

"I'm going to tell you either way," I inform him, and when he doesn't object, I sit upright and start my explanation. "I think you were a child; like a teenager rebelling against authority because you thought yourself to be old and wise enough."

Sam finally turns to me, and I see fascination in his eyes as he regards me. There's a small smile playing at his lips, but it isn't one of excitement or happiness, just curiosity, as though I am an odd ball he wishes to understand.

"It's actually belittling that you compare me, an Angel, to a dim-witted, undeveloped and inconsequential teenage human." His voice doesn't hold anger though. Just his usual curiosity.

I find that I like it better than his impassiveness. Deciding he isn't vexed at me; I decide to push the matter a little further.

"You had everything. You were God's favourite Angel. You just wanted more power and more freedom. That's every teen's reason for rebelling. Freedom. They are yet to grasp responsibility and accountability. Isn't that why you asked Eve to eat of the apple? You just wanted to push God's buttons.

"I wonder who told humans it was an apple. Trust me, there's nothing remotely special about apples." He flashes a grin, his eyes glinting with excitement and I sigh at the realization that my words have fallen on deaf ears.

I decide he either doesn't care about my accusations, or he simply refuses to answer me because he knows my words hold truth and he doesn't want to face the fact that he's somewhat of an immature Angel.

"Aren't you even a little sorry about what you did?" I raise a brow at him and he shakes his head. "Don't you miss home?"

At my question, a crease forms on his forehead and for a moment, he doesn't reply me. He just stares straight ahead and if he wasn't an Angel, I would think he didn't hear me. After a brief pause, he readjusts himself and takes in a deep breath I know he doesn't need.

"Bells, there are things about my Father that you don't know. There are things about Him that no one knows nor have the mental ability to understand because it makes no sense to the mind. Even some Angel's minds."

I stare at him with furrowed brows as I weigh his words in my head and wait for him to explain further, but he doesn't.

I am about to remind him that he hasn't quite answered my question even though I'm sure he knows that, but a squealing sound is heard, and a particular brunette girl with flawless skin and a fake pitchy voice waltz towards Sam and me. Already feeling mental exhaustion creep in, I blow out air through my mouth as I watch the transaction.