It's Like The Freaking Birdbox

Chapter Forty-One: It's Like The Freaking Birdbox

~~~

I step unto the threshold of the school on Monday morning, my heart hammering in my chest as I go through the whole suicide in my head and wondering how to deal with my latest suspect.

Yesterday, Sam had informed me to act like a normal student; catch up with my assessments, go shopping, anything that normal teenagers did, and Heaven knows I tried, and for a moment, I thought it was actually working. For a moment, I didn't feel like the main character in a poorly scripted murder mystery.

However, walking into the school seems to have done the job and brought me back to my harsh reality. The reality that we just lost yet another student to what everyone will believe is a suicide but is really a murder. Is it going to end there? Are we all going to have to live in fear for our lives soon?

I look around the hall and scoff when I find all the students decked in black. The idea was brought up by Tiffany and posted to the newsfeed, and of course, everyone wanted to follow trend. Even those that didn't really care about Trixie, or those that were always bullied by her.

They pass me a snarled glare as I walk past them, silently hating me for having the guts to defy their thirst for attention, and for a moment, I start to question my decision to come clad in a normal grey oversized hoodie on blue denim jeans.

Cherry walks wordlessly beside me, nonchalant in her pink getup as usual and her signature smile missing. She has been awfully mute since the whole spat between us, and while I want nothing more than to heal the crack in our friendship, I don't even know where to begin.

Moreover, she made it clear that as long as Sam hovers around me like an unwanted vigilante, her trust for me isn't going to return. She also mentioned how she didn't trust me to make decisions for myself as I seemed to live at Sam's feet, doing whatever he wants, believing whatever he says.

How can I tell her that Sam isn't one I can just get rid of? He isn't one I want to get rid of.

She follows me to my locker and much to my surprise, the other girls are awaiting our arrival. I glance at Audrey who decided to follow trend, and at my gaze, she looks away, heat creeping up her cheeks. Nat is also dressed in all-black, but that is just a Nat thing to do. There's absolutely nothing unusual about the black hairpin in her hair, or the black collar around her neck or her think black leather jacket which she matches with black boots.

Nah! Just Nat being Nat.

"God knows I will murder those goddamn girls if I have to..." Nat's words come to my mind and I sigh deeply.

Well, Trixie is dead, isn't she?

"It's like the freaking birdbox, guys!" Audrey laments. "Is the depression contagious or something? Because why on earth are people just killing themselves?" Her voice cracks a little due to fear and her growing anxiety and Cherry is quick to rush to her side and pat her shoulders at an attempt to comfort her.

"It's not the birdbox, dear. We're fine," Cherry assures and Nat scoffs as she fishes out her phone and scrolls through it, not the least bothered that a girl is dead.

"What's the birdbox?" I query, tearing my gaze away from Nat.

At my question, the three girls look up at me, their eyes wide in disbelief as though I just told them that the earth is flat and made of animal dung.

"How have you not watched the bird box?" Audrey questions and I provide a shrug as a response.

The truth is I haven't watched a lot of movies. My entertainment had been strictly limited to novels, considering my aunt seemed to frown at the idea of me having fun. And most of the books I read were about girls finding love in the weirdest of places.