I'm Almost Proud Of You

Chapter Forty-Eight: I'm Almost Proud Of You

~~~

I find myself with Sam, seated in his too white house and staring at the paper on the table. Sam glances through it once more, but I am sure he already has all the words memorized.

He lifts a hand to his chin as he leans further into the chair, making a humming sound as he does so and I can only stare at him and wonder what is going through that devilish brain of his.

My phone vibrates once more in my bag, but I ignore it, knowing it is Asher who is calling me yet again. I don't know what his problem is, but it is starting to irritate me that he is choosing to put his feud with Sam over the actual case.

Yes, I understand his apprehension, but why can't he understand that right now, the most important thing to me is keeping him out of harm's way and catching whoever this vicious killer is.

"Everyone here has a motive to kill both Ben and Trixie. It's not surprising. They make quite the horrible duo. However, when you throw yourself into the mix, it just makes everything more complicated."

"Surely, nothing can be too complicated for the Devil, am I right?" I tentatively smile at him and he glances in my direction, his violet eyes stern and unmoving, it causes my smile to falter and fall. "I've already apologized. I don't know what more you want from me. Moreover, I don't understand why you're so angry that I was with Asher. It makes no sense."

Sam makes a clicking sound with his tongue and shakes his head at me as though I just said the most moronic thing he has ever heard. Then again, he seems to stare at me like that a lot, so I should be used to it.

"The fact that you think Asher has to do with my anger just goes to show how incredibly much of a simpleton you are," he finally says. His voice is low and he casts his gaze away from me, causing me to narrow my brows in confusion.

"I don't get. Why then are you angered?"

"Why?" He snaps his eyes to me; except they aren't violet anymore. In sync with his fury, his irises have taken the colour of flames. Dark, furious flames that seem to dance in the light, looking very much alive. I swallow hard, hating this side of him.

While I have known he is dark and menacing, I have always felt relaxed knowing he always tried to be soft around me. Not this angry, scaring person looming over me now.

"You were idiotic enough to withhold information for me and now, you have put yourself in potential danger, making everything even more complicated. Now, I will be unable to leave your side because Father forbid I leave you to some bloodthirsty maniac with a very thwarted view of reality."

His nostrils flare and his whole stance is rigid. I draw in my lower lip between my teeth and bite back a cry. However, my eyes don't get the memo and they start to tear up.

Sam notices this and he blinks rapidly and I notice the fire die down until his eyes are the usual shade of violet. He exhales deeply through his nose and shakes his head, snatching the paper from the table and staring at it once again.

"I'm sorry," I apologize, my voice small and shaky. "I don't – I don't know what I was thinking. I just wanted to believe it was cute or like something out of a romance novel. I was wrong. I should have told you immediately and I regret not doing so."

"You could have died," Sam mutters under his breath.

"I'm not afraid for myself." I hesitantly place a palm on his shoulder. He glances at my hand, his brows furrowed, but he makes no move to take it off. "I know you're looking after me and there's no human on this planet who is stronger or faster than you."