You Have A Secret

Chapter Twenty-Seven: You Have A Secret

°°°

Asher looks visibly strained. It’s as though he wants nothing more than to move, but he cannot seem to make his body carry out the simple task. He stares at Sam with eyes widened in horror and confusion while Sam sits back down, staring at the boy with his head titled and amusement in his violet eyes.

With widened eyes, I regard Ash, before turning a glare to Sam. The thought that Asher may be in any sort of pain causes a feeling of discomfort and slight anger within me. Yes, I’m somewhat angered at Ash – more like confused as to what his intentions are. We clearly have a lot to talk about – but that doesn’t mean I wish to see him in any sort of pain.

“Sam, side-bar, please?” I raise a brow at the Devil, my voice strained as I struggle to hold up a smile as though all is well with the world.

Sam shrugs and turns to Asher, his lips pursed as he takes him in. He shrugs again as he stands and gestures for me to follow him. I turn to Ash and pass him an apologetic smile before following Sam to another isle of the library.

When I am sure Asher cannot hear us anymore, I turn to Sam and hit him as hard as I can on his shoulder. He doesn’t even flinch. He simply stares at me, his eyes furrowed in confusion as he’s probably thinking of what I was trying to achieve by hitting an immortal who is a lot stronger than I am.

“Are you simply looking for an excuse to touch me? I should let you know I don’t fancy –”

“Oh, shut up!” I snap at him and he raises a brow at me. I can see he’s clearly ticked at my blatant disrespect, but he doesn’t say anything. He slips his gloved palms into his pockets as he regards me. “What did you do to Ash? We never said anything about going all Angel-mojo on him, did we?”

“That’s because we never talk about anything. You simply lazy around and wait for me to come up with something. I haven’t for once seen you coming up with theories or doing your private investigation,” he accuses and I gasp in disbelief at his audacity.

“I have been busy, you arrogant –”

“I don’t appreciate insults, girl, and need I remind you I’m the Devil? I’m busier than the busiest person on this earth, you have no excuse. I only make you tag along so you feel somewhat included, but if you continue to question my mannerism, I will cease to include you or waste my time answering your incessant questions. Clear?”

I weigh the options in my head, and with a forced nod, I walk past him and make my way back to Asher who is still seated where we left him, staring right ahead with his jaw clenched and I can see the anger in his eyes.

Sam settles in beside me, then with a grin on his face, he leans closer to Asher and Ash follows his movements, a crease visible in his forehead.

“Asher Reid,” Sam speaks up. His voice is light and smooth, almost sluttery and all traces of anger has vanished completely. He sounds astonishing.

That’s not the only weird thing that happens. I notice Ash’s eyes twitch and he seems to be trying and failing to tear his gaze from Sam. His lips part, only to shut again and he ends up looking like a fish washed ashore and struggling to take gasps of water. His whole muscles are tensed and he seems to be under a lot of strain.

Totally confused, I turn my attention to Sam, and suddenly the world seems to stop its orbit around the sun, choosing instead to revolve around Samael Light.

His beautiful, beautiful violet eyes are set on Asher, steady and unwavering, they seem to glow brighter, then darker, then brighter again, like a gorgeous flickering light, demanding attention from us, attention I am unable to stop myself from giving.