Obedience Isn't That Hard

Chapter Fifty-Two: Obedience Isn't That Hard

~~~

We sit in silence for a moment and I stare into the water at the school of fish that swim around in joy just beneath the surface.

Inside of my head, a war brews as I try to figure out just what it is that the Devil and God himself could be fighting about, but something suddenly clicks in my head.

"You said you weren't created then. I thought you are one of the first Angels of God, along with Michael, Gabriel, Uriel –"

"Yes, yes. The Archangels." Raphael waves off. "You humans really do think you have it all figured out. Lu was created before any one of us. Some whisper that he was the first Angel ever created by Father. Some say Father made him in his very image... You know, like man. I heard some of the higher Angels talking. They said Lu was the first intelligent creation, but something happened so Father cast him aside and made man. Like a backup experiment of some sort."

Raphael hums and shrugs as though he isn't intrigued at all by the mystery, whereas I am burning with curiosity.

"But it makes no sense." I shake my head and Raphael turns to me, his head inclined and his brows furrowed. The light breeze causes his hair to sway. That and his flowing brown garment adds to his Angelic look. The sun seems to beam at him even, causing him to glow brighter than anything around.

"A lot of things don't make sense, Bells. Not even to us Angels. Father is mysterious and possesses power beyond our imagination. Time and space means nothing to him and you think anything he does is going to make sense to you?" He chuckles and shakes his head at though I am a moron, then he looks away.

"I must admit though, it kinda makes sense. If Lu is Father's first creation, that would explain the sentimental attachment."

"What do you mean?" I query, feeling warm and cosy in his wings. It's the most magnificent feeling ever and I cannot even begin to explain it.

"He's a Fallen. He should have had his wings ripped off and his status as an Angel revoked, but some still regard him as an Angel. In fact, if you look at it, I think he was given exactly what he was asking for."

"Huh?" Is the only thing I can say.

"Well, he wanted freedom, didn't he? Now, look at him. Also, he wanted to be God. Now, he's practically a god. He's got demons under him and his very own worshippers and Hell to rule as he pleases. Sure, he doesn't have the powers Father has, but I hear that he's the most powerful Angel ever created."

"But Michael defeated him," I remind and Raphael lets out a humourless laugh.

"Indeed. It was by Father's grace, not Michael's strength. It was a brutal war."

"I read somewhere that Sam had a lover. Something of the sort," I note and Raph hums and shrugs yet again, not seeming the least interested in the conversation.

It only makes me more curious. Why isn't he bothered that there's a lot of things he doesn't know? Why isn't he dying to know more?

"I know what you're thinking. You're easily readable." He turns so he now facing me, but I don't feel his wing around me move. "Anabelle, I'm an Angel of Medicine and Healing. I don't need to know about Lu's affairs to carry out my purpose. Anything I need to know will be revealed to me by Father. It's how Angels work."

"But Sam has a thirst for knowledge," I input and Raph purses his lips.

"And look where that led him. Lu wasn't created like the rest of us Angels and it cost him his place in Heaven. And it was unfortunate that he managed to drag others with him. Anabelle, knowledge causes as much damage as it causes good and curiosity -"